Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad mini 6 guided access not working

Was really hoping iOS 15.0.1 would fix this issue but it did not. Cannot use guided access on this new device from day 1. The guided access itself works, it’s the getting out of it that does not happen. The screen is unresponsive when you have to enter the passcode to get out. Touch ID doesn’t unlock the guided access either. Even the hard reset didn’t work and the app I was in just reopens automatically when it comes back on. Super frustrating.

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 6:01 PM

Solution!! (for now at least)

I just got the iPad Mini 6 and have been experiencing this issue as well. I am currently using Touch ID, and even though the iPad states “Triple Click to End Guided Access”, my iPad will freeze up if I do that.

My solution that has worked every time since discovering it, is to double-click the Top Button(TouchID/Lock/Home Button), follow the second click with immediately resting(not clicking) your TouchID enrolled finger. iPad Mini then seems to unlock without an issue. 

Update: I have noticed if you wait too long after the second-click of the TouchID/Lock Button, that this workaround is less consistent with being successful.

I’m sure in the next few weeks, we will see a supplemental iOS update that will fix this bug so guided access works normally again. 

I made this short clip to help demonstrate this workaround. (YouTube link below)

https://youtu.be/WbMNPNRu0no

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2021 6:01 PM in response to Meg1502

Solution!! (for now at least)

I just got the iPad Mini 6 and have been experiencing this issue as well. I am currently using Touch ID, and even though the iPad states “Triple Click to End Guided Access”, my iPad will freeze up if I do that.

My solution that has worked every time since discovering it, is to double-click the Top Button(TouchID/Lock/Home Button), follow the second click with immediately resting(not clicking) your TouchID enrolled finger. iPad Mini then seems to unlock without an issue. 

Update: I have noticed if you wait too long after the second-click of the TouchID/Lock Button, that this workaround is less consistent with being successful.

I’m sure in the next few weeks, we will see a supplemental iOS update that will fix this bug so guided access works normally again. 

I made this short clip to help demonstrate this workaround. (YouTube link below)

https://youtu.be/WbMNPNRu0no

Oct 5, 2021 5:51 PM in response to Meg1502

After about 20 minutes of frantically attempting to get out of this myself, it randomly accepted my fingerprint and ended the session. When it did make it up to the enter passcode screen, it came up with the upper corner of a regular keyboard layout, nothing would respond on that either. I know this will not help, I just wanted to add that it is just as glitchy getting out of it, when it does eventually happen. This is a great feature for those of us with younglings...

New iPad mini 6 guided access not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.