Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

iPad Air stuck in Guided Access Mode.

Today, I put my IPad in guided access mode, I set it to where it would not acknowledge touch on the screen because I needed to use it for something. Afterwards, whenever I try to turn off Guided Access it will give me a weird glitch similar to the problem in this discussion thread My ipad stuck in guided access mode can a… - Apple Community I have tried triple clicking (it gives me that weird keyboard) and I have also tried resetting the IPad which only shows me “Guided Access is enabled.” I’m not sure what else to do besides waiting for the IPad to die and going from there.

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 3:43 PM

When you are stuck in Guided Access mode, you can be really stuck as the typical triple tap on the home button to quit out of Guided Access may not work. Even a forced exit won't work because the power button and the home button are disabled. 

Devices with a physical Home Button

The only way to get out of Guided Access is to press the Home and Power button together for 15 seconds. This should turn off Guided Access by forcibly rebooting your device. Once your device is restarted, you can then go to Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access > Guided Access - and turn off Guided Access if needed.

Use Guided Access on iPad - Apple Support

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Devices without a physical Home Button

For iPad’s without a physical Home button, you’ll need to follow a different button sequence…

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2023 3:43 PM in response to sealedsword

When you are stuck in Guided Access mode, you can be really stuck as the typical triple tap on the home button to quit out of Guided Access may not work. Even a forced exit won't work because the power button and the home button are disabled. 

Devices with a physical Home Button

The only way to get out of Guided Access is to press the Home and Power button together for 15 seconds. This should turn off Guided Access by forcibly rebooting your device. Once your device is restarted, you can then go to Settings > Accessibility > Guided Access > Guided Access - and turn off Guided Access if needed.

Use Guided Access on iPad - Apple Support

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Devices without a physical Home Button

For iPad’s without a physical Home button, you’ll need to follow a different button sequence…

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

iPad Air stuck in Guided Access Mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.