Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Song Limit

I'm not able to add anymore albums to my library because I've hit the song limit, but I'm only at 98,400 songs. Isn't the limit 100,000? Do playlists count against the limit? I have a family plan, does my family's library count against the limit too?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 9:02 AM

I meant to add the screenshot of the error I get.

A broken record at this point, I know, but It just doesn't make sense why there is a limit on the number of "cloud" songs one can add. You can still stream songs to your heart's content if they aren't in your library so I don't get why there is this (seemingly) arbitrary limit. I fully understand that 100k songs is more than anyone will ever listen to but I make a lot of large playlists from lists of albums (1001 Albums You Need to Hear Before You Die, Rolling Stone 500, etc.), that I like to throw on shuffle. I see threads (Apple Music/iTunes: Exceeded 100,000 limi… - Apple Community) about this dating back to 2017, so probably time Apple updates this limit.

(apologies for hijacking this thread)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 9:02 AM in response to jrdave2304

I meant to add the screenshot of the error I get.

A broken record at this point, I know, but It just doesn't make sense why there is a limit on the number of "cloud" songs one can add. You can still stream songs to your heart's content if they aren't in your library so I don't get why there is this (seemingly) arbitrary limit. I fully understand that 100k songs is more than anyone will ever listen to but I make a lot of large playlists from lists of albums (1001 Albums You Need to Hear Before You Die, Rolling Stone 500, etc.), that I like to throw on shuffle. I see threads (Apple Music/iTunes: Exceeded 100,000 limi… - Apple Community) about this dating back to 2017, so probably time Apple updates this limit.

(apologies for hijacking this thread)

Oct 3, 2021 10:23 AM in response to efwguitarist52

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities  efwguitarist52,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you. We understand you're adding songs/playlists to your account. We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. To start, make sure you have the most current operating system on your device. (Settings > General > Software Update)  When you have family sharing set up and use Cloud storage sharing, everyone in the family shares the storage. Below we have included 3 resources regarding iCloud with Family Sharing. We have also included links for iCloud+ now available and may be ideal for you with the amount of storage the family will need.

Manage your iCloud storage

Share iCloud+ with your family

iCloud+ plans and pricing

If you need further assistance after following the link above, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Dec 5, 2021 4:05 PM in response to efwguitarist52

My library has hit 99,999 songs, with only 172 of them non-Apple Music songs, and I am no longer able to add songs. I have nothing downloaded locally to any device so I can't for the life of me understand why there is a limit on a library that is 99.99% Apple Music songs.

All of their documentation states "You can have up to 100,000 songs in your music library. Songs that you buy from the iTunes Store don't count against this limit.". So let me this straight - Apple Music songs count towards the limit but iTunes Store songs don't?!

Can someone (preferably from Apple) please explain the reasoning behind this limit? As the OP stated, this has nothing to do with iCloud Storage as I assume they are like me in that Apple Music doesn't take up any part of my iCloud Storage.

Oct 10, 2021 9:58 AM in response to efwguitarist52

efwguitarist52,

Thank you for getting back to us. You stated you wanted to know whether the Family plan members used the storage. That is why we mentioned a limit on the iCloud storage. Were you able to upload the rest of the songs? Each song file needs to be smaller than 200 MB as well.

"You can have up to 100,000 songs in your music library. Songs that you buy from the iTunes Store don't count against this limit."

These articles have more information:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

Use iCloud Music Library on PC

Let us know if you still need further assistance uploading your music.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Apple Music Song Limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.