Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Battery Life

I've had a M1 MacBook Pro for a little while now (since January), and I was excited because of all the reviews and people praising the battery life. I never really experienced that. Just today, I decided to watch the first three episodes of Foundation on Apple TV+, and my batter went from ~ 90% to 24% after viewing. The battery health is at 90% and the laptop does not run too hot, just warm to the touch and had the brightness low. I don't have too many things open, a few word documents and and couple windows of Safari. I'm not sure what could be draining the battery life so much. Any ideas on what could be draining the battery?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 9:11 AM

In addition to streaming video and videoconferences (both known power-demanding tasks), installing anti-virus and so-called "cleaning" apps can shorten battery runtime.

I don't have too many things open, a few word documents and and couple windows of Safari.

Check the sites that are open in those windows. Some websites alone can demand massive power. Every Wednesday I use my MBP on battery in a setting where it wil normally consume only about 40 percent of its normal capacity over a 3.5-hour period. One day the battery was down to 20 percent with the same setup after 90 minutes.

Activity Monitor showed that I'd left the Amazon home page open in a Safari background tab and it alone was using more energy that all other 12 open tabs combined.

So always use Activity Monitor to check the energy that individual sites are demanding went you encounter unexpectedly short runtimes.

View energy consumption in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 9:11 AM in response to Lazerus267

In addition to streaming video and videoconferences (both known power-demanding tasks), installing anti-virus and so-called "cleaning" apps can shorten battery runtime.

I don't have too many things open, a few word documents and and couple windows of Safari.

Check the sites that are open in those windows. Some websites alone can demand massive power. Every Wednesday I use my MBP on battery in a setting where it wil normally consume only about 40 percent of its normal capacity over a 3.5-hour period. One day the battery was down to 20 percent with the same setup after 90 minutes.

Activity Monitor showed that I'd left the Amazon home page open in a Safari background tab and it alone was using more energy that all other 12 open tabs combined.

So always use Activity Monitor to check the energy that individual sites are demanding went you encounter unexpectedly short runtimes.

View energy consumption in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 3, 2021 8:17 AM in response to Lazerus267

Lazerus267 wrote:

I've had a M1 MacBook Pro for a little while now (since January), and I was excited because of all the reviews and people praising the battery life. I never really experienced that. Just today, I decided to watch the first three episodes of Foundation on Apple TV+, and my batter went from ~ 90% to 24% after viewing. The battery health is at 90% and the laptop does not run too hot, just warm to the touch and had the brightness low. I don't have too many things open, a few word documents and and couple windows of Safari. I'm not sure what could be draining the battery life so much. Any ideas on what could be draining the battery?

It is a battery capable machine—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in.

If you need portability then run on the battery...

Streaming video is demanding(?)

My battery runtime is low

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054#runtime

Macbook Pro Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.