Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo back up confusion

I am so confused at the functions icloud photo library has.

So we can upload it to icloud - back up in settings. Then you delete the photos off your phone to clear up space, but by doing so this deletes off the icloud AS WELL. HOW do i go around this???

I read from another google search that to turn off your icloud before deleting them.

What happens when you want to sign back into your icloud, will it sync again and delete the pictures you've deleted?

I don't understand the point of having large storage phones when there is no easy way to store/upload/keep your media.

Only reason I'm coming across this is because I need to. back up my phone before sending out for repairs - which my phone needs to be reformatted to factory settings before sending it out.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 8:51 PM

If you sync photos using iCloud photos, anything that you do on any device, or online, is reflected on all devices. iCloud is primarily a synchronization service, not an offline file storage.

Learn more about backing up: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

After backing up, you can reset your phone to factory settings in Settings > general > transfer or reset iPhone. Although, you shouldn't need to reset your device if you're having Apple or and Apple Authorized Service Center make repairs; you usually just turn off FindMy.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 8:51 PM in response to bo_kim

If you sync photos using iCloud photos, anything that you do on any device, or online, is reflected on all devices. iCloud is primarily a synchronization service, not an offline file storage.

Learn more about backing up: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

After backing up, you can reset your phone to factory settings in Settings > general > transfer or reset iPhone. Although, you shouldn't need to reset your device if you're having Apple or and Apple Authorized Service Center make repairs; you usually just turn off FindMy.

iCloud Photo back up confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.