Delete Photos From iCloud But Keep On iPhone

Hi All,

Long story short I like to annually backup my iPhone photos once a year to external hard drives (or whenever needed). What I noticed this time around was that although I had maxed out my 50GB iCloud storage (photos, files & apps etc), I still had plenty of storage on my iPhone (its 256GB) so I am wondering if its possible to download and delete all photos from iCloud - keep them on your iPhone - and not having them re-uploaded to iCloud when the phone syncs again?

However I would like new photos taken to be uploaded to iCloud until I do my backup to external hard drives again. Repeat repeat repeat etc.

• How to delete photos from iCloud but keep on iPhone as iCloud Storage is much smaller than the phone capacity but keep newer photos backing up to iCloud
    • So phone would have more photos on it than iCloud but iCloud would not be trying to sync all the photos on the phone - just new photos
  • Can you un-sync specific photos (old & already backed up photos)? But keep the newly taken photos backing up to iCloud and repeat this process in the future?

No major issue if this isn't possible but I guess the iCloud storage space kind of dictates what's on my iPhone (regardless if my iPhone had unlimited storage as I'm restricted to 50GB in iCloud if I want to ensure my stuff is backed up).

I'll just do a full backup and delete when the iCloud is full every time etc.

I hope the above makes sense.

TIA for any answers on this.

Jon

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 9:12 AM

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. As such, anything you delete will be removed in all locations. The only option is to turn off iCloud sync on the device. You can then delete items in iCloud. But, if you turn on sync again, the items remaining on device will upload

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 9:12 AM in response to JonLove86

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. As such, anything you delete will be removed in all locations. The only option is to turn off iCloud sync on the device. You can then delete items in iCloud. But, if you turn on sync again, the items remaining on device will upload

Delete Photos From iCloud But Keep On iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.