Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone "System Data" taking up 47 Gb of storage!

I couldn't load a photo from iCloud storage because apparently I had no storage space left on my phone, so I checked settings and apparently my phone was using 47 Gb of system data, I then searched it up and found a thread from around 2016-2019 where people were having the same problem with no fix, and Apple didn't reply to any of them. Anyone know what the problem is? (I've deleted photos and apps etc but it says it's "system data".) This suddenly happened overnight about a week ago. (Posted on 04/10/2021)

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:22 PM

I am having this issue and the above does not help. I have over 100GB Used by System Data. If the cash should automatically clear then why does it not clear when I need to use it to download photos form the cloud. My phone is useless.

2 replies

Oct 5, 2021 6:42 AM in response to oswindles

Hi oswindles, 

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. 

We see that you have a question about how to reduce the “Other” storage on your iPhone. We want to help. Other storage represents cached files. Cached files are created when you stream or view content like music, videos, and photos. When you stream music or video, that content is stored as cached files on your device so you can quickly access it again.

Your device automatically removes cached files and temporary files when your device needs more space. This article has more information on How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

You can also make sure that your iPhone is updated. Backing up before updating is recommended.

Here’s How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

Here’s how to Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Best Regards!

iPhone "System Data" taking up 47 Gb of storage!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.