Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not providing audible notification of incoming emails

Having trouble on my (new) iPhone X with no notification sound for incoming mail messages. Ring Tone preference selected, Volume max. Silent Mode is off. I also have an iMac and I have turned off the notification sound. No difference. Looked at Accessibility Settings in case there was anything there that might prevent the sound coming through. No success. I also have this problem - 50% of time - with incoming phone calls. Can anyone assist, please? Thanks.

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 2:17 PM

Thank you, Karina, for responding. Since posting my question, I discovered about one hour ago why incoming email audible notifications using the Mail app are not being heard (only text notification) on my iPhone (all software previously up-to-date). Having been successful, I assisted another individual who posted an identical problem and who has since advised that he has uncorked the champagne!

Here's the solution: Settings/Notifications/Mail/Customize Notifications. Click on iCloud. By default (I'm guessing after an iOS software update), the Alerts toggle is in the off position. Once turned on, the user's Sound notification of choice is then displayed. An email to oneself will result in the email notification finally being audible. Several helpful individuals have come up with all sorts of suggested remedies, but for two users in succession, the procedure above has resolved the matter.

Truly appreciate your attention on this.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 2:17 PM in response to karina184

Thank you, Karina, for responding. Since posting my question, I discovered about one hour ago why incoming email audible notifications using the Mail app are not being heard (only text notification) on my iPhone (all software previously up-to-date). Having been successful, I assisted another individual who posted an identical problem and who has since advised that he has uncorked the champagne!

Here's the solution: Settings/Notifications/Mail/Customize Notifications. Click on iCloud. By default (I'm guessing after an iOS software update), the Alerts toggle is in the off position. Once turned on, the user's Sound notification of choice is then displayed. An email to oneself will result in the email notification finally being audible. Several helpful individuals have come up with all sorts of suggested remedies, but for two users in succession, the procedure above has resolved the matter.

Truly appreciate your attention on this.

Oct 5, 2021 2:01 PM in response to CuriouslyMe

Hi CuriouslyMe,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're not receiving an audible notification for incoming emails, and we'd like to assist. Are you using the Mail app or another third-party mail app? Does this issue only occur when you're near your Mac? Are both iOS and macOS updated to the latest versions? Does the issue persist if you change the notification to a different sound?

We look forward to learning more about the issue.

Take care.

iPhone not providing audible notification of incoming emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.