Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp printer laser jet pro mfp m28w - driver not lister on drop down menu

My Mac has the latest hp update version 5.1. The printer been set up but on a driver that has a different model name because MFP M28W is not listed. So when I click print, I can see data being sent to printer but nothing happens. Any suggestions please? I even tried resetting printer without luck.

Thank you

B

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 10:42 AM

Hi,

Can you confirm that the operating system is macOS High Sierra 10.13 (this section of the communities)?

There is also a Dec 11, 2020 HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS package from Apple (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US), but your printer is not mentioned in the Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support article.

However, the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support. This means that it should be possible to use the model in question without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

A USB connection would require drivers.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 10:42 AM in response to BumbleBee.

Hi,

Can you confirm that the operating system is macOS High Sierra 10.13 (this section of the communities)?

There is also a Dec 11, 2020 HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS package from Apple (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US), but your printer is not mentioned in the Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support article.

However, the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support. This means that it should be possible to use the model in question without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

A USB connection would require drivers.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 5, 2021 10:47 AM in response to BumbleBee.

HP seems to think that this is a built-in Apple AirPrint (networked) supported device, even though it does not appear in the current AirPrint list of supported LaserJet Pro devices. See these HP instructions for setting this device up with AirPrint, instead of any HP-specific drivers. Attempting to support this printer with drivers not designed for it will be a waste of time.

Oct 6, 2021 4:40 PM in response to BumbleBee.

You're welcome! Glad to hear that AirPrint worked, albeit in a somewhat different way.

Normally, AirPrint is used via a network (wireless or wired) only. USB connections (usually) require additional drivers.

Some USB printers are listed under USB-only devices in the About AirPrint - Apple Support article (Published Date: September 30, 2021). This is what Apple has to say about them: "Similar to AirPrint printers, these USB devices allow you to print or scan without having to install additional drivers. Because they require a USB connection, they support driverless printing or scanning only from Mac computers."

Interesting to note is that HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w and M28a both are listed under AirPrint devices in said article, despite the fact that the latter is a USB-only model.

An HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28 Series datasheet at https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA7-2266EEP.pdf does not mention anything about AirPrint for the a model (only the w, as expected).

A note on page 29 in the LaserJet Pro MFP M28-M31 User Guide says: "Before using AirPrint with a USB connection, verify the version number. AirPrint versions 1.3 and earlier do not support USB connections."

This can be a bit confusing . . .

Oct 7, 2021 3:15 PM in response to BumbleBee.

Hello again,

The first thing to do is to make sure that the printer is connected to a wireless network provided by a Wi-Fi router. If there is a problem setting this up via software from the printer manufacturer, simply try Wi-Fi Protected Setup = WPS (if supported by your router). You may want to print a configuration report.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05672924.pdf

Once the printer and the computer are wirelessly connected to the same Wi-Fi network (router), you can proceed with adding the printer.

A guide from Canon shows a typical way of adding an AirPrint-enabled printer model.

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/#Pmac

You could also try a full power-cycling sequence: Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, all computers, and any other devices. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computers. Finally, power on any other devices.

If necessary, have a look at the Add a network printer by its IP address section in Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support.

Oct 6, 2021 2:18 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you! AirPrint has resolved my issue, something an Apple representative wasn’t aware! The only thing was that it was resolved only by using USB cable as the printer wouldn’t communicate wirelessly with my laptop for some reason.

Strange thing was, when I selected AirPrint, the printer name “mfp m28w” had additional extension figures and letters in bracket next to it; which means without the AirPrint selection, this printer wouldn’t have been set up. Thank you 🙏 again for your help. I shall at some point try the wireless option again but I am not bothered with wireless - I just want to print. Thanks ever so much again.

Thank you also to those who replied to me.

B

Oct 7, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi. Thank you for the note; interesting how confusing this modern technology can get as more advanced products come on the market. Talking of which, I also have a Macbook air Retina which I would like to install same printer. It doesn’t have a USB or CD slot so the printer software cannot be downloaded in it either (supposedly no need for it?).

When I clicked on the ‘Plus’ sign to add my printer wirelessly to this device too, I could only see the IP tab available to add printer (not Default or Windows). I tried AirPrint and Internet Protocol Printing on that tab, but had no luck because I had the same problem; Laserjet Pro MFP M28w was not listed on the drop down to choose as the Drive. Would you please be able to shed some light on this too?

Many thanks 🙏

Oct 8, 2021 3:53 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for the note. The issue is that I cannot download the printer software into this thin laptop as it has no CD slot to insert printer software and obviously no USB ports. I will see if I can detect the WPS option as I didn’t see this option. I think so long as the laptop hasn’t got printer’s software, it’s a bit tricky. I have tried re-booting everything except my router but will do that too. I just wish I knew how to install printer’s software into my laptop without a CD slot. I had no luck looking for its software on App Store either. Thanks

Oct 8, 2021 4:45 AM in response to BumbleBee.

Thank you for the report. Have a look at the If your router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) mode, try to connect through this mode: section (1. to 3.) in the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28-M31 Reference Guide (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05672924.pdf) for WPS.

Do not use a direct Wi-Fi connection from a computer to the printer. Instead, as mentioned earlier, connect the printer and the computer to a Wi-Fi router. WPS is one way of doing this.

I assume that the HP software is mainly for setup purposes. In addition to this, it may be a way (for HP) to monitor the printer (ink supplies. et cetera). Only you can decide whether such software is necessary/wanted.

In many cases, the setup can be done manually as well. This printer appears to contain an embedded web server (EWS).

See the Method two: Open the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) from a web browser section on page 41 in the User Guide (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05847830.pdf).

A configuration report can be useful (see also the Check the Wireless LED status from the printer control panel: section 2. in the Reference Guide).

It should be possible to connect an external optical or flash drive to the computer (with the appropriate adapter), if necessary. Usually, software (if at all required) can be downloaded directly to the computer from the printer manufacturer.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

hp printer laser jet pro mfp m28w - driver not lister on drop down menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.