Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 battery percentage stuck, only updating value on reboots

My iPhone 13 Pro battery percentage indicator is stuck, and/or very slow to decrease, not following real battery percentage.

Actual battery status is only updated on reboots of the phone. So for example if I reboot after some hours of using the phone the battery will go from like 85% to 60%, because the iPhone couldn't correctly track the battery depletion in the meantime. This is confirmed by briefly connecting the phone on a Mac with Coconut Battery, the reading on phone is higher and way off than the real charge.

A "restore as a new phone" didn't fix it. A restore in DFU mode didn't fix it either, as it didn't charging to 100%. Using iOS 15.0.1. The problem is widespread also on the base and max models, there are multiple reports also on new devices, even if on mine it seemingly started after an hard reboot.

Any chance to fix this?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 1:13 PM

Update. It was probably nothing. Apple keeps a 5% gap between actual battery charge and displayed battery percentage after a recharge session, so this, coupled with the big batteries of the 13 series, can give the impression of a "stuck" battery. The actual battery percentage is restored at each reboot too, and this explains big drops of battery on reboot.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 1:13 PM in response to thingo

Update. It was probably nothing. Apple keeps a 5% gap between actual battery charge and displayed battery percentage after a recharge session, so this, coupled with the big batteries of the 13 series, can give the impression of a "stuck" battery. The actual battery percentage is restored at each reboot too, and this explains big drops of battery on reboot.

Oct 13, 2021 3:56 AM in response to thingo

Im having the exact same issue with the Iphone 13 Pro 256GB i own, had it for 5 days and its doing the exact same thing, it charged overnight got stuck at 98% then rebooted to get it to 100% took it off and 12 hours later my phone was stuck at 100%, restarted again and it went down to 66% ( the actual correct figure it would seem )

After this ive noticed its not showing any battery drain now but it will show charge, i have tried soft reset, DFU, restore nothing works at all, its either an ios issue running latest version 15.0.2 or its hardware itself on the 13 models.

had an old iphone se with similar issue and got this exchanged it appears the same thing has creeped its head back around the corner without apple realising.

Oct 17, 2021 2:50 AM in response to Vanko16

So I’ve managed to fix mine manually here’s what I’ve done :

firstly use the phone and it will start to drop eventually when you get to 35% battery plug it into iTunes and wait till it shows in the menu.

then follow the instructions to restore iOS ( does not wipe data )

this is usually performed by pressing volume up then volume down and then the power button till it goes into a reboot mode can’t remember the exact steps but they are online.

after a while a message pops up on the computer or mac saying restore iOS follow these instructions and let the device do its thing. Once this is completed connect using an approved apple 20watt charger and the original cable for around 3 hours till it shows either 98% or 100.

the device is now repaired and will drop as normal.

be advised however the first 15% does give the impression of a stuck battery however it is not. It is draining all be it very slowly !

not sure how this manages to fix the device but mines been perfect since and had no battery issues at all and easily lasts me longer than 38 hours on a full charge with heavy usage.

it looks like an iOS bug but fixed with an iOS restore.

hope this helps everyone

Oct 17, 2021 5:27 AM in response to thingo

15.0.2 started this issue for me with iPhone 13 Pro Max. Battery % will show a full charge for 9-10 hours on idle, only updating when I manually turn off phone, turn it back on. (no hard reboot). Then it may show the updated % of 92-93%, stuck again until you reboot the phone.

ALSO, under Coconut Battery, my "health" after 15.0.2 looks like it took a major hit. Launch day...just 22 days ago, an awesome 103-104%. After 15.0.2 update, 94-95% (iPhone reads "Health - 100%)

Right now, I'm not sure what to believe, if the phone's numbers -%'s are totally messed up and Coconut can't read it...which I actually hope this is the case. OR, this update really did fry my battery. Only hope the next update will fix this!

Right now, I'm fairly disgusted with the way this brand new phone is acting.

iPhone 13 battery percentage stuck, only updating value on reboots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.