Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 13 pro overheating

I barely used my new iphone which I got last Monday night 2 nights ago. I noticed overheating while I was transferring files from my old phone and while it is connected with charger. It doesn’t have protective film nor casing yet so I don’t use it at all. And now, that I’m using it for browsing AT&T website for an hour, I found it overheating again.. No youtube or other apps were used. And still without protective case.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:13 AM

I have noticed for past week my iPhone 13 pro overheats as well and not during charging, just regular scrolling through Fb or some activity at amazon or eBay. top half portion gets extremely hot and becomes uncomfortable to even hold the phone. should I stop by at apple location for them to have a look at it? its not getting any better

179 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 8:13 AM in response to Sharon_419

I have noticed for past week my iPhone 13 pro overheats as well and not during charging, just regular scrolling through Fb or some activity at amazon or eBay. top half portion gets extremely hot and becomes uncomfortable to even hold the phone. should I stop by at apple location for them to have a look at it? its not getting any better

Oct 7, 2021 7:52 AM in response to ilyangski

Hey ilyangski,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand your iPhone 13 Pro appears to be getting warmer than expected. We'd like to help.

Based on the description of it getting warmer than expected when transferring files and while connected to the charger, those can be expected reasons why the device would feel warmer. If you're performing intense tasks, it will feel warmer too. There are several more reasons where the phone getting warmer than expected are considered normal. Check out this article please: Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

"When you use the device or charge the battery, the device might get warm. You might notice that your device feels warmer in these situations:

• When you set up your device the first time
  • When you restore from a backup
  • When apps reindex or reanalyze data, like Photos tagging for faces, places, or keywords after a software update
  • When you use graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features

These conditions are normal, and your device will return to a regular temperature when complete.

Here are some of the higher ambient-temperature conditions and activities that might cause the device to change performance and behavior:

• Leaving the device in a car on a hot day.
  • Leaving the device in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
  • Using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for an extended period of time, such as GPS tracking or navigation in a car, playing a graphics-intensive game, or using augmented-reality apps."

We also invite you to review the section in that article titled 'If your device gets too warm' and 'If you see a temperature warning screen'.

Best regards.

Nov 23, 2021 9:27 AM in response to njnikusha

After setting up my phone yesterday, today is the first day that I am using it. It’s been less than 15 minutes and my iPhone 13 Pro is overheating at the upper half of the phone. It’s not warm; it’s hot to touch, where it’s uncomfortable and noticeable an unusual temperature for any phone. I only used my phone for Google GPS for a drive that is 11 minutes and it’s overheating. My iPhone XS never had this issue. FYI, there were no other running apps while using my phone. Is this a defective model on Apples part? Thinking of returning my phone today. 🚩🚩🚩

Dec 2, 2021 9:23 AM in response to ilyangski

My phone is having the same issue. I got it the first day it came out. It has been glitching and slow. It just keeps getting worse and overheating. It also turned off at 44% and would not turn back on until I plugged it in.

I haven’t had such severe issues with an Apple phone in years. Very disappointed. I’m literally on a call for work while writing this, and my phone is burning up. Should not be happening.

Dec 9, 2021 11:46 AM in response to Sharon_419

Hello,

my iPhone 13 pro max arrived this morning and i had set it up but now 8 hours later the phone seems to be over heating. I’ve been through your checklist but everything seems to be okay. The phone was using light media (Spotify) and it started to get really hot despite nothing downloading or any heavy use, soon after, the battery percentage started dropping fast (87% to 80 in a matter of 3-4 minutes) which was strange. I received the delayed batch of iPhone 13 pro max’s and think something might be wrong with this one.

Aug 18, 2022 1:56 PM in response to JohnFourtyTwo

JohnFourtyTwo wrote:

Actually Bluetooth is a powerhog and uses lots of energy. As soon as I turned mine off the phone started cooling down.

Actually not true at all. The Bluetooth radio in your iPhone is one the lowest consumers of power in the device.

From a highly respected member of this forum and engineer who knows way more than the average bear --> Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Battery Drain and oth… - Apple Community

You can believe what you want to believe, but on this, you are completely wrong. Read and learn.

Nov 20, 2022 8:25 AM in response to A_Kl

A_Kl wrote:

1. This forum for me, is to inform Apple because of the lack of process with 'Apple Store Genius Bar' or 'Apple Support' (I purchased the annual support service).

It is intended to support other parties: by sharing our agreement, experience or any additional experiences; while, sharing helpful 'hints'; for the purpose of advising/sharing with Apple developers, on their latest release of what is happening at the 'customer-end' (EX).

Thus:
Battery consumption - there are three main areas which we are finding conflicts, rationalised by viewing the 'Settings', I will explain in the perspective of an EX):
1. Apple's individual section settings - Security (multiple areas), Safari and General
2. 3rd Party compliance with the latest release - there is no way of understanding 'why' there is a 'challenge' other than using the 'Battery: Chart'
2. Working with Key partners - Apple needs to state when a 3rd party APP is compliant or in a 'ready-state': primarily we are concerned with Security compliance for the purpose of understanding should we be switching it off or re-install or
1. 3rd Party Anti-Virus software alignment: principally the 'Background' status
2. 3rd Party VPN software alignment: some form of scale of 3rd party alliance, for us to understand which is 'safe' and which are 'under our due care'
3. Heat of our iPhone device - as you stated iOS does state when it is extremely precarious, however, it does not support our concern when there is an extreme heat in one area of the iPhone to understand if we need to be concerned: then, what should be doing and why is the cause:
1. APP? - which one
2. iOS? - where
3. Hardware - this is generally covered by your statement, but it does not provide us what component is at concern

Your first statement is unfortunately a misunderstanding of this forum. You are never informing Apple of anything here. The cognizant people at Apple you hope would be here, simply are NOT. The entire purpose of this forum is for users to ask other users for help using their devices. If a user can offer help, they do. Apple isn't reading here for user feedback at all.

If you do want to communicate with Apple however, you can use this link to get your thoughts to them directly --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

You can also use the Support button at the top of this page or bottom left of this page to reach out to Apple. You can call Apple at: 800-MY-APPLE. Or you can schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for one-on-one in-person with someone from Apple.

But writing here, get's you nothing, other than the eyes of other users only.

Aug 18, 2022 10:44 AM in response to pretzbach

My iPhone 13 Pro has same issues, though some things to do to minimize how often this happens:

1. Make sure that background app refresh (settings) is completely off. I don’t think most people have a valid reason why that needs to be on.
  2. Keep Bluetooth turned off until you have an active need for it

Although the above two steps have certainly helped, the phone will still get hot at times for unexplained reasons. One particular situation is when I am using the Mint app (personal finance management). Every single time without fail when I use the Mint app the phone will get hot. I understand that the app might be resource intensive due to fetching financial data from multiple sources but I don’t think that justifies the phone getting so hot.

Nov 2, 2022 5:24 AM in response to Sharon_419

Good afternoon, sir/madam

I believe the general community of iPhone users understand when leaving any hardware under the sun, will arise in a hot object.

We are trying to explain, iOS 16.1 is different from 16.0 where we have noticed three major changes; iPhone 13 Pro Max:

1. Battery Chart - for several days I have noticed it would state 75% and then suddenly it is 10%
  2. Battery Drainage - 16.0 with heavy usage, I would be able to have an iPhone for over 2 days. Now I have to charge within 6 hours
  3. Excessive Heat - like 15.0.3, my iPhone is excessively hot (at the back)

Nov 12, 2022 4:20 AM in response to Shortyjmc

After much research, I believe the cause is based around the following:

1. iOS update process when updating the version - there is a conflict with an application which is running behind the scenes. The solution I would advise would be to see which application is running (by looking at the battery chart) and re-install.
  2. iOS update process when updating the version - make sure you de-activate, for every App before you upgrade: Siri, Notifications, Mobile Data and Background App Refresh.
  3. iOS update processionals when updating the version - once you have done all the above, then make sure Siri is off, I would clear in Safari 'Clear History and Website Data' (it is the only cache you can remove, the above steps will remove the cache per App, however, I do not know how to remove cache-memory).

This way you install, a new clean version of each App (I know a headache and along process if you have many apps). Hint:remember to take a screen shot per page of your App to help you remember which one you need to re-install)

For those who have already updated to the new version, then I would add one pre-step before re-implementing the apps by letting you phone discharge and then re-charge over-night.

If you have installed a 3rd party ant-virus software, then make sure you re-install this software first. Unfortunately, in my case there is a disparity between version stability between iOS and my Anti-vIrus: I have found by un-installing the Anti-virus software and then re-installing it, to be a stapler solution.

I just updated to 16.1.1 following the above steps, fingers-crossed I have stopped the heat and aggressive battery drainage.

Good luck

Nov 20, 2022 5:24 AM in response to lobsterghost1

This forum for me, is to inform Apple because of the lack of process with 'Apple Store Genius Bar' or 'Apple Support' (I purchased the annual support service).

It is intended to support other parties: by sharing our agreement, experience or any additional experiences; while, sharing helpful 'hints'; for the purpose of advising/sharing with Apple developers, on their latest release of what is happening at the 'customer-end' (EX).

Thus:

1. Battery consumption - there are three main areas which we are finding conflicts, rationalised by viewing the 'Settings', I will explain in the perspective of an EX):
    1. Apple's individual section settings - Security (multiple areas), Safari and General
    2. 3rd Party compliance with the latest release - there is no way of understanding 'why' there is a 'challenge' other than using the 'Battery: Chart'
  2. Working with Key partners - Apple needs to state when a 3rd party APP is compliant or in a 'ready-state': primarily we are concerned with Security compliance for the purpose of understanding should we be switching it off or re-install or
    1. 3rd Party Anti-Virus software alignment: principally the 'Background' status
    2. 3rd Party VPN software alignment: some form of scale of 3rd party alliance, for us to understand which is 'safe' and which are 'under our due care'
  3. Heat of our iPhone device - as you stated iOS does state when it is extremely precarious, however, it does not support our concern when there is an extreme heat in one area of the iPhone to understand if we need to be concerned: then, what should be doing and why is the cause:
    1. APP? - which one
    2. iOS? - where
    3. Hardware - this is generally covered by your statement, but it does not provide us what component is at concern

Nov 20, 2022 4:41 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you.

Your constructive response has informed about:

• the target audience
  • Other effective ways of targeting Apple in support which no one from Apple suggested.
  • the structure of how EX works in this forum, when frustrated with Apple when one has paid a service with them and yet they shrug they shoulder .. you have no idea how much time I have wasted (I travel and battery issues & update requirements to remain safe in an open environment is a real concern)

A big thank you, earnestly.

Dec 12, 2021 1:05 PM in response to ilyangski

I have the same issue on 13 pro max Plus one more the phone its just purchased . While the screen its locked and crystal clean innthe spot light or direct sun light those bars from inside the phone are showing . The phone does not have any issue with display but i believe this is hardware looks like bars inside LCD . How about your guys does anyone have this ?

Iphone 13 pro overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.