Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert photos from HEIC to JPG

I'm using airdrop to send photos from my iPhone to my Mac, but it's sending them as HEIC, even though I have my setting to "Automatic" for transfers. How can I convert these from HEIC to JPG or PNG?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:34 PM

CasPals Said:

"How to convert photos from HEIC to JPG: I'm using airdrop to send photos from my iPhone to my Mac, but it's sending them as HEIC, even though I have my setting to "Automatic" for transfers. How can I convert these from HEIC to JPG or PNG?"

-------

Extension Use:

First: Duplicate the File:

First, make a duplicate so that the original file is not lost. To do so:

1. Right-Click on the icon
  2. Duplicate

See Screenshot 1

Then: Rename It:

1. Right Click: the duplicated HEIC file (file name ends in "copy")
  2. Select: Rename
  3. Change: the extension to jpg
  4. Click: Use .jpg button

See Screenshot 2:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 6:34 PM in response to CasPals

CasPals Said:

"How to convert photos from HEIC to JPG: I'm using airdrop to send photos from my iPhone to my Mac, but it's sending them as HEIC, even though I have my setting to "Automatic" for transfers. How can I convert these from HEIC to JPG or PNG?"

-------

Extension Use:

First: Duplicate the File:

First, make a duplicate so that the original file is not lost. To do so:

1. Right-Click on the icon
  2. Duplicate

See Screenshot 1

Then: Rename It:

1. Right Click: the duplicated HEIC file (file name ends in "copy")
  2. Select: Rename
  3. Change: the extension to jpg
  4. Click: Use .jpg button

See Screenshot 2:

Oct 6, 2021 6:18 PM in response to CasPals

There are actually two settings you can configure on the iPhone/iPad to have the iOS device send and/or store the photos as .jpg's. One is the "Automatic" setting in the "Photos" Settings. The other is in "Settings" --> "Camera" you can set "Formats" to "Most Compatible" to save files as JPEG/H.264 unless they are 4K.

Otherwise you will either need to convert the files on the computer or install a third party app to read the files if one is available for an older OS.

Oct 6, 2021 10:06 AM in response to CasPals

CasPals wrote:

I'm using airdrop to send photos from my iPhone to my Mac, but it's sending them as HEIC, even though I have my setting to "Automatic" for transfers. How can I convert these from HEIC to JPG or PNG?

What is the problem iOS to macOS as heic.

Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/photos

https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/export-photos-videos-and-slideshows-pht6e157c5f/mac

You can convert them, search the app store "HEIC Converter 2"

How to convert photos from HEIC to JPG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.