Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie stuck on “Validating iMovie Library”

So I have a hard drive with a bunch of my old imovies on it. When I went to open it up, it worked just fine. But when I went back to open it again, it would not open and it just says “Validating iMovie Library”. The application also says not responding. How do I fix this?

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:28 PM

Endless validating usually means that there is a corrupt project in the iMovie library. To test, open iMovie in a new blank library. To do that open iMovie while holding down the Option key. You will get a box that will give you the option to open iMovie in a new library. If it opens in the new blank library (with no projects in it) that would indicate that there is a corrupt project in your old library that is hanging up the opening process.

For a solution, you might take a look at this thread and see if there is anything in there that helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250312276?answerId=250610699022&page=1

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 6:28 PM in response to Hannahroxx1233

Endless validating usually means that there is a corrupt project in the iMovie library. To test, open iMovie in a new blank library. To do that open iMovie while holding down the Option key. You will get a box that will give you the option to open iMovie in a new library. If it opens in the new blank library (with no projects in it) that would indicate that there is a corrupt project in your old library that is hanging up the opening process.

For a solution, you might take a look at this thread and see if there is anything in there that helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250312276?answerId=250610699022&page=1

-- Rich

iMovie stuck on “Validating iMovie Library”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.