Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.2.1 vs iMovie and others possibly

I upgraded my iMac with the latest Monterey 12.2.1 on Saturyday 2/12/2022. The next day I went to edit some raw video from our church message to place on our app, but iMovie wouldn't open. I saw the previous string from last Oct/Nov 2021 about the previous versions having compatibility issues, but I didn't experience them at that time. Only now, since I uploaded the latest version did this occur. I get many of the same problems that were there for the others with unable to load, or taking hours vs minutes to do simple tasks (like just opening the files placed on the iMovie library. Was there a patch or protocol added to correct this back in the fall that I may have deleted or lost with this installation of 12.2.1???

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 8:26 PM

You've tried some fixes from blogs, but I'll give you my list of diagnostics in the hope that it might help you. You may well have done all or most of them already.

Deleting Preferences

Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Opening iMovie in a new library

Try opening iMovie in a new library. To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option key and then selecting to create a new library in the box that appears.

Opening iMovie in a new user account

Create a new user account from System Preferences/Users and Groups and try to open and use iMovie in the new account. You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

Safe Mode

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Updating iMovie

(You've already tried this one.)

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM, although this issue would be fairly rare:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Hopefully one of the above will isolate the problem.

Good luck with this. If you talk to Apple Support, and have time, it might help others if you could post back what they said.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 8:26 PM in response to Guard47pa

You've tried some fixes from blogs, but I'll give you my list of diagnostics in the hope that it might help you. You may well have done all or most of them already.

Deleting Preferences

Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Opening iMovie in a new library

Try opening iMovie in a new library. To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option key and then selecting to create a new library in the box that appears.

Opening iMovie in a new user account

Create a new user account from System Preferences/Users and Groups and try to open and use iMovie in the new account. You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

Safe Mode

You could also try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Updating iMovie

(You've already tried this one.)

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM, although this issue would be fairly rare:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Hopefully one of the above will isolate the problem.

Good luck with this. If you talk to Apple Support, and have time, it might help others if you could post back what they said.

-- Rich

Feb 19, 2022 2:51 PM in response to Rich839

Well, that didn't work. I also tried the other "fixes" in the Apple user blogs without success. I need to ask if there was an iMovie protocol left by one of the earlier iterations of Monterey? When we were installing a vpn access we came across it, thought it was a bogus program protocol, and deleted it. That's when the trouble started. Could that have been it?

Monterey 12.2.1 vs iMovie and others possibly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.