Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which apple pencil works for iPad Mini 2 A1490

Please can someone help me. I want to buy an Apple Pencil for my iPad Mini 2 (it's a 2014) model. Which Apple Pencil should I get?

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 1:10 AM

None.

No Pencils work with any old/er 6-10-year old iPad models, as well as the 2017, iPad 5th generation.

These old/er iPad models lack the crucial and necessary internal screen hardware layer needed for an Pencil to be recognised by an iPad's screen and to properly function/interact with an iPad’s screen.

If you are looking for similar Pencil functionality, the ONLY third party, smart Bluetooth stylus that I can, honestly, recommend that actually works well with any older iPad, that is NOT compatible with any Pencils, is the Adonit Pixel smart Bluetooth stylus.

https://www.adonit.net/jot/pixel/

This smart, Bluetooth stylus works across a wide range of iOS devices.

The Bluetooth connection is stable and its Bluetooth pressure sensing technology is very smooth, natural feeling and has consistent line drawing ability.

Plus it's a quality made, aluminum stylus with two programmable buttons.

I had been using this stylus for well over 3 years now and it is/was really good on my iPad Pro.

This stylus worked wonderfully for me with all compatible apps.

The Adonit Pixel works with iPads all the way back to the 2012, 1st gen iPad Mini and iPad 4th generation!

Has ON/OFF/app shortcut buttons.

Has a nice fine, textured pen tip AND a nice rubber grip.

Magnetically charges on its own magnetic charging adapterand has an auto 15 minute shutdown feature ( to preserve battery life ), charges in a hour, or so.

Has both a small USB charger that that plugs into any USB charging block OR you can purchase an optional charging dock.

I find it only lasts for anywhere between 9-12 hours, but Adonit claims up to 16 hours of continuous use on a single charge cycle.

Made of very high quality aluminum materials.

The Adonit Pixel ONLY works with approx. 24 of the major/popular drawing/sketching/painting apps (the Pixel works with, but currently no longer “officially” supported with Procreate, but it still works and works pretty well in Procreate ), and approx. half dozen of the popular note taking apps, a half dozen writing apps and about a half dozen PDF style/compatible apps.

You WILL have to perform some pairing and setup parameters in each of the Adonit Pixel compatible apps.

You just DO NOT simply turn on Bluetooth on an iDevice and turn on the Adonit stylus and start writing.

The Adonit Pixel stylus is NOT an Pencil in this regard/respect.

You have to initially Bluetooth pair the Adonit Pixel, setup the hand/palm position and in many apps, set up the stylus screen pressure sensitivity for each and every compatible app!

Once you have, initially, done all of this, all Adonit Pixel compatible apps will remember these settings for future use!

Some Adonit Pixel users claimed their stylus doesn’t work, but it does work well IF you properly know how to set up the Adonit Pixel!

If interested, to make sure you get the latest installed stylus firmware, you must order the Adonit Pixel stylus directly from the Adonit website, when possible and available.

This stylus has just become available, once again, after about year of absence from availability from Adonit.

So, get this stylus while it is in stock and while supplies last.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 1:10 AM in response to blazinheart007

None.

No Pencils work with any old/er 6-10-year old iPad models, as well as the 2017, iPad 5th generation.

These old/er iPad models lack the crucial and necessary internal screen hardware layer needed for an Pencil to be recognised by an iPad's screen and to properly function/interact with an iPad’s screen.

If you are looking for similar Pencil functionality, the ONLY third party, smart Bluetooth stylus that I can, honestly, recommend that actually works well with any older iPad, that is NOT compatible with any Pencils, is the Adonit Pixel smart Bluetooth stylus.

https://www.adonit.net/jot/pixel/

This smart, Bluetooth stylus works across a wide range of iOS devices.

The Bluetooth connection is stable and its Bluetooth pressure sensing technology is very smooth, natural feeling and has consistent line drawing ability.

Plus it's a quality made, aluminum stylus with two programmable buttons.

I had been using this stylus for well over 3 years now and it is/was really good on my iPad Pro.

This stylus worked wonderfully for me with all compatible apps.

The Adonit Pixel works with iPads all the way back to the 2012, 1st gen iPad Mini and iPad 4th generation!

Has ON/OFF/app shortcut buttons.

Has a nice fine, textured pen tip AND a nice rubber grip.

Magnetically charges on its own magnetic charging adapterand has an auto 15 minute shutdown feature ( to preserve battery life ), charges in a hour, or so.

Has both a small USB charger that that plugs into any USB charging block OR you can purchase an optional charging dock.

I find it only lasts for anywhere between 9-12 hours, but Adonit claims up to 16 hours of continuous use on a single charge cycle.

Made of very high quality aluminum materials.

The Adonit Pixel ONLY works with approx. 24 of the major/popular drawing/sketching/painting apps (the Pixel works with, but currently no longer “officially” supported with Procreate, but it still works and works pretty well in Procreate ), and approx. half dozen of the popular note taking apps, a half dozen writing apps and about a half dozen PDF style/compatible apps.

You WILL have to perform some pairing and setup parameters in each of the Adonit Pixel compatible apps.

You just DO NOT simply turn on Bluetooth on an iDevice and turn on the Adonit stylus and start writing.

The Adonit Pixel stylus is NOT an Pencil in this regard/respect.

You have to initially Bluetooth pair the Adonit Pixel, setup the hand/palm position and in many apps, set up the stylus screen pressure sensitivity for each and every compatible app!

Once you have, initially, done all of this, all Adonit Pixel compatible apps will remember these settings for future use!

Some Adonit Pixel users claimed their stylus doesn’t work, but it does work well IF you properly know how to set up the Adonit Pixel!

If interested, to make sure you get the latest installed stylus firmware, you must order the Adonit Pixel stylus directly from the Adonit website, when possible and available.

This stylus has just become available, once again, after about year of absence from availability from Adonit.

So, get this stylus while it is in stock and while supplies last.

Oct 7, 2021 2:02 AM in response to blazinheart007

blazinheart007 wrote:

Please can someone help me. I want to buy an Apple Pencil for my iPad Mini 2 (it's a 2014) model. Which Apple Pencil should I get?

Your iPad mini2 does not support Apple Pencil. The mini2, in common with older models of iPad, lacks the specific screen hardware with which the Apple Pencil interacts.

Here is a link to the definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Oct 7, 2021 1:11 AM in response to blazinheart007

Here’s my “up to date”, comprehensive, but still incomplete, list of Adonit Pixel compatible apps for the iPad/iPad Pro.

MOST apps listed support both screen pressure sensing and palm rejection, unless otherwise noted

Compatible Adonit Pixel apps for drawing

Animation Desk

Amaziograph

ArtRage

ArtRage Vitae

Art Studio Pro ( fully supports the Adonit Pixel and is just as great as Procreate on the iPad )

AutoDesk SketchBook

Colored Pencil

Comic Draw

Concepts

Forge ( drawing/sketching/concept/ideation app )

Interactive SketchBook

Medibang Paint

Procreate

(Adonit Pixel has been supported as an “unsupported stylus”, for some time now, but all Adonit Pixel stylus features still work as they should in Procreate, palm rejection IS improved using special, non-body electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove )

Tayasui Sketches/Sketches Pro ( Full support for the Adonit Pixel )

Tayasui Sketches School ( FREE! )

( this free version works with this stylus, but without any palm rejection or pressure sensing, so you need to use a special, non-body electrical conducting drawing glove with the Sketches School version to lay your hand/palm down on the iPad’s screen while writing or drawing )

Vectornator

Zen Brush 2

Compatible Adonit Pixel apps for Notes and Notes with drawing types of apps.

CollaNote ( palm rejection ONLY! Such palm rejection settings within App. NO pressure sensing for thin to thick/light to dark lines)

GoodNotes

INKredible

Note Shelf 2

Notes Writer ( palm rejection improved using special, non-electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove )

QuickNotes X Pro ( palm rejection ONLY. No pressure sensing for light/dark or thin/thick lines )

uPad

Zoom Notes

PDF Pen

This is pretty much it for Adonit Pixel compatible note-taking apps.

This stylus works with other non-compatible apps, too, but without any palm rejection and/or pressure features.

You can use this stylus with other apps but will not be able to lay your palm on the screen, while you write or draw, unless you use special, non-body electrical conducting, lycra-based material drawing glove that works by isolating your hand/palm and allow you to lay your hand/palm on the screen as you draw in these non-compatible Adonit stylus apps.

Something like these found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/AKX-Rejection-Drawing-Graphic-Sketching/dp/B08R6PWKC9/ref=sr_1_33_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=tablet+drawing+gloves&qid=1611535160&sr=8-33-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMFg5WFBZWFpCS1kmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5OTA2MzMxRUVYUURUMlAwVU4wJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNDY1NjMxVjg1NE45TVRXSUQ3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmX25leHQmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.com/Timebetter-Rejection-Drawing-Sketching-Suitable/dp/B08DKGHYMS/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=drawing+gloves&qid=1611533128&sr=8-21

Many more makers of these types of gloves found on Amazon and in different hand sizes, as well!

Best of Luck to You!

Which apple pencil works for iPad Mini 2 A1490

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.