Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers suddenly will not let me edit

I have catalina 10.15.7 and today it will not let me edit my monthly accounts spreadsheet. it keeps telling me to update but will not let me. Also seems to think i am not the originator but just a collaborator. Really cheesed off having just wasted 2 hours and no closer to a solution.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 12:37 AM

7 replies

Oct 7, 2021 10:59 AM in response to Badunit

it looks as if I may have opened a cloud version for some reason. I don't remember doing so.

I still don't know how I can open any version on my imac as I have tried following the links to cloud and App store with no success. I am worried as I cannot access my household accounts,it said that the originator ( me) is no longer sharing this with me.

Oct 7, 2021 1:03 PM in response to mikefromfruita

I just found out that I can edit using my iPad and managed to update on my iphone but not the computer. totally pee'd off about it where it remains read only and says not shared with me. I guess apple want us to go back to Windows for home computing. No other reason that i can see except to reduce the demand for Apple home machines if they are concentrating on mobile devices.

Oct 7, 2021 1:29 PM in response to marted1

Just tried another spreadsheet that is not shared (no collaboration) and it works just fine. So what is broken is the collaboration piece - if the sheet is shared it wont work. Workaround - I saved a copy of the same sheet to dropbox. I can open and edit it and so can my wife form her macbook air. IF you don't utilize iCloud for the sheet and use numbers to edit on your machine you will be ok. Clunky workaround but it works - if you have dropbox save it their and you can collaborate then.

Numbers suddenly will not let me edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.