Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To transfer files from my Mac desktop to my lap top can I used a usb or thunderbelt drive and just plug into one then to the other to download and transfer

How can I transfer files from my desktop to my laptop

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 5:10 PM

Yes, you can use a USB or Tbolt drive to transfer files from one Mac to another. That's a straightforward and easy way to move files. It isn't a way to backup a Mac, but for simply moving files from one machine to another that's fine.

Another option is to use iCloud Drive. Set it up on both machines, and as you create and use files on one Mac, those same file will be made available to the other, as long as you use the same Apple ID to log in to iCloud, or grant access to another Apple ID with sharing.

Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 5:10 PM in response to melanin290

Yes, you can use a USB or Tbolt drive to transfer files from one Mac to another. That's a straightforward and easy way to move files. It isn't a way to backup a Mac, but for simply moving files from one machine to another that's fine.

Another option is to use iCloud Drive. Set it up on both machines, and as you create and use files on one Mac, those same file will be made available to the other, as long as you use the same Apple ID to log in to iCloud, or grant access to another Apple ID with sharing.

Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac - Apple Support

To transfer files from my Mac desktop to my lap top can I used a usb or thunderbelt drive and just plug into one then to the other to download and transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.