Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help- My Cross Platform file sharing was killed by a Windows 10 update.

I recently upgraded my Windows PC to Win10Pro version 20H2.

Now I can no longer connect to my older mid-2010 MacMini for file sharing.

This is a veritable catastrophe; I depend on home network cross platform file sharing.

Why did this happen?

Because Windows v20H2 no longer supports SMBv1, the only version of SMB that my MacOS (Snow Leopard System 10.6.8) supports.

And there's no hope that Apple will provide a system patch for Snow Leopard.

Is there any way to restore cross-platform file sharing?

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 7:16 AM

UPDATE: It appears that SMB support WASN'T removed from Win10 v20H2; it was just turned OFF.

I went to Start Menu\Settings\Apps\Apps & Features\Optional features\More Windows Features\Turn Windows features on or off

...and checked the box, "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support".

Now my Windows/Mac file sharing works again. Microsoft appears to have turned it off because of developing security issues, but if you're willing to take the risk, this appears to be how to restore Mac-PC file sharing after updating a PC to Win10v20H2.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 7:16 AM in response to autochthon

UPDATE: It appears that SMB support WASN'T removed from Win10 v20H2; it was just turned OFF.

I went to Start Menu\Settings\Apps\Apps & Features\Optional features\More Windows Features\Turn Windows features on or off

...and checked the box, "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support".

Now my Windows/Mac file sharing works again. Microsoft appears to have turned it off because of developing security issues, but if you're willing to take the risk, this appears to be how to restore Mac-PC file sharing after updating a PC to Win10v20H2.

Help- My Cross Platform file sharing was killed by a Windows 10 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.