Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing only in one direction possible

Hi,

We have 3 Macs using Sierra, and File Sharing is working fine among them (Ethernet).

Now I have connected a MacBook Air using High Sierra to the network and I noticed that the MacBook can access the Macs, but it is not possible to access the MacBook from a Mac.

Previously we had only used AFP, but since the MacBook uses APFS I have additionally activated SMB.

Firewall is off on all computers.

Many thanks for your help!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 27, 2019 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 7:47 AM

Wait for confirmation from somebody with both HFS+ & APFS to confirm, but nice clear question. :)

Indicates here it should work...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3230498/apple-file-system-apfs-faq.html

• Turn filesharing on for your High Sierra Mac, and mount it as a volume on the older Mac.

(APFS drives apparently can’t be shared over the now-outdated Apple Filing Protocol.

Apparently you have to turn OFF AFP...

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/312318/unable-to-access-files-with-file-sharing-in-mac-os-high-sierra

Gordan's got the issue: To connect to an APFS formatted volume you need to turn OFF sharing via AFP (forcing SMB connection) on the macOS devices you are trying to share.

1. Open System Preferences (Screen Menu > Apple icon > System Preferences
  2. Select Sharing icon (3rd row, Folder w/ caution sign)
  3. Select File Sharing in Right hand list (check to turn on if not already)
  4. Select Options ... botton on right
  5. UNCHECK Share files and Folder using AFP
  6. Repeat as needed for Mac devices you're trying to share

Then you should be able to connect and log in to the Mac shared on you network as before.

See Apples (very) brief doc Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra for other items affected by the change to APFS.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2019 7:47 AM in response to coxorange

Wait for confirmation from somebody with both HFS+ & APFS to confirm, but nice clear question. :)

Indicates here it should work...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3230498/apple-file-system-apfs-faq.html

• Turn filesharing on for your High Sierra Mac, and mount it as a volume on the older Mac.

(APFS drives apparently can’t be shared over the now-outdated Apple Filing Protocol.

Apparently you have to turn OFF AFP...

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/312318/unable-to-access-files-with-file-sharing-in-mac-os-high-sierra

Gordan's got the issue: To connect to an APFS formatted volume you need to turn OFF sharing via AFP (forcing SMB connection) on the macOS devices you are trying to share.

1. Open System Preferences (Screen Menu > Apple icon > System Preferences
  2. Select Sharing icon (3rd row, Folder w/ caution sign)
  3. Select File Sharing in Right hand list (check to turn on if not already)
  4. Select Options ... botton on right
  5. UNCHECK Share files and Folder using AFP
  6. Repeat as needed for Mac devices you're trying to share

Then you should be able to connect and log in to the Mac shared on you network as before.

See Apples (very) brief doc Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra for other items affected by the change to APFS.

May 27, 2019 10:38 AM in response to BDAqua

> in Sys Prefs>Sharing>File Sharing, what folders & users are listed?

Shared folder is My public folder, and the Users are:

This looks very normal to me.

And yes, from Admin account.

... I found the solution:

Over the years, under Finder > Go > Connect to Server...

under Favorite Servers: a list of afp://192.168.1.10x addresses had built up.

I modified all the entries to smb://192.168.1.10x

and now it works!

Thanks again!

File Sharing only in one direction possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.