Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing - SMB & SFTP not working...

I have created a folder for sharing over my local network.

Under System Preferences/ Sharing, I have enabled both File sharing (all options ticked - smb, afp and Windows File Sharing) and Remote Login (to enable SFTP).

My other devices on the network can see my Mac, but they are unable to connect to it.

What else am I supposed to configure to make this work?

My Mac can access shared folders on other devices, although Finder is in a bit of a mess. FE File Explorer works really well.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 8:01 AM

There is a difference to show network sharing is setup on Mac versus Windows.

The same is discussed here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250714408

This thread can now be closed.

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 4, 2019 10:22 PM in response to fyip

Thanks for the reply.

That link mostly talks of connecting from Mac to other devices, which is working fine on my Mac. The problem is with connecting to it from other devices.

I have even tried turning off the built-in firewall, but that did not help. There is probably some setting that needs to be configured which I have not done. But based on all that I could find on the Internet, I have tried all of it (there isn’t anything more than what I have done which is stated in the OP).

Anyone who has successfully set up a shared folder, can help with a step by step guide on how he/ she made it work.

Oct 5, 2019 5:35 PM in response to Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

Turn of "AFP" sharing especially if you are using the APFS file system on the Mac. macOS does not support AFP shares on a system using the new APFS file system. APS support is also disappearing so use SMB instead. After disabling AFP sharing, I would reboot the Mac.

If this doesn't help, then we would need more exact details for each machine including exact model, macOS version, file system, etc. Network details may also be necessary, but to keep the home network simple, make sure each computer is connected directly to your router so they all on the same subnet. This also removes any WiFi issues from the mix.

Oct 7, 2019 2:13 AM in response to HWTech

I turned on AFP when I was unable to connect. That didn't help. Upon your suggestion, I turned it OFF again, but that hasn't helped. As far as I know, macOS prefers SMB over AFP, so not sure if keeping AFP on would make any difference.

That said, my network configurations are fine and the issue is definitely with my Mac settings. I say this because my Mac can connect to all my other devices and those devices can connect with each other as well without any issues. The only connection that isn't working is incoming connections on the Mac. I tried turning off the firewall but that did not help either.

I tried both SMB and SFTP connections using my Mac username and password. The devices can see my Mac but unable to connect.

I even used the "Get info" window for the shared folder and enabled 'Sharing' box there. I am not sure if this was necessary because the folder was already allowed for sharing under system preferences. Ideally, when making a change under system preference, it should also reflect under 'Get Info', isn't it?

Here are the device details:

MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14.6, APFS file system (shared folder is on an unencrypted partition)

iPhone running iOS 13.1.2

Windows 10 Build 1809

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2019 3:02 AM in response to Sridhar Ananthanarayanan

UPDATE

I was using the wrong username to login. I was using my iCloud account name instead of the username (name of the Home directory under Users). I am now able to connect to my Mac from other devices. Thanks for all the inputs.

Now I have another problem:

Everything on my Mac is visible over the network, and more importantly I am able to delete any file I want from another device. All my partitions and their contents, including the Startup Disk (Macintosh HD) are visible. I have enabled just one folder under System Preferences/ Sharing. That too with only "Read" permissions. I can understand if the "Public" folders of all user accounts are automatically visible with "Read & Write" permissions (because they are listed under System Preferences/ Sharing).

But I don't understand why every folder and file on my Mac are showing up on the other devices, and that too with 'Delete' permissions. Please help.

Thanks.

File sharing - SMB & SFTP not working...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.