Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting iPhone notifications about an unknown device is with me

This is pretty scary. I keep getting notifications that an unknown device is with me and has been tracking me from Find My. It shows a comprehensive map of locations I’ve been to. What could it be? I clicked remove device and it said failed to connect to server. I restarted the phone and now 2 objects show up.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 11:23 PM

Hey I'm a police officer at usm and I think you (Apple) need to see what's that's about because I literally had two females last week come to me to file a report and the exact same thing was happening to them. It also said to call law enforcement but what are we supposed to do? We aren't tech analyst. They were so scared that they didn't even want to stay at their apartment so we had to accommodate them and have them stay on campus in a dorm. I don't know what's doing on but y'all need to fix it because it ALSO happening to females in tiktok as well.

Similar questions

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 11:23 PM in response to jdo_apple

Hey I'm a police officer at usm and I think you (Apple) need to see what's that's about because I literally had two females last week come to me to file a report and the exact same thing was happening to them. It also said to call law enforcement but what are we supposed to do? We aren't tech analyst. They were so scared that they didn't even want to stay at their apartment so we had to accommodate them and have them stay on campus in a dorm. I don't know what's doing on but y'all need to fix it because it ALSO happening to females in tiktok as well.

Nov 6, 2021 8:15 PM in response to Do24minh

Hi! This just happened to my sister! After quickly searching the internet to see what’s going on I heard a lot of talk about airpod pros, which I own. I decided to see what would happen if I connect my airpods to her phone and boom. Then it says this device can now track your location. We are not in a family system together and that’s why my mom was not getting notifications about it and they’re my airpods so of course they weren’t tracking me lol. I would be willing to bet the majority of people getting this notification are airpod owners or know friends with them and are with them a lot.

I would recommend everyone searching through any of your stuff to double check and always be safe. Obviously I’m not an apple technician and can’t tell you for sure but this is my experience, I hope it helps!

Oct 30, 2021 4:11 PM in response to jdo_apple

i restarted my phone and it’s still there. i don’t own airpods, airtags anything IOS/apple related except my phone. i check my purse, jacket and my clothes there’s nothing. i have locations off and tracking off. people got this on EARLY october, i’m getting this NOW. if this is a bug, which i hope it is. ya’ll don’t know how mad i’ll go.

Nov 23, 2021 1:24 PM in response to Justus smith

it’s insane to me that so many people are calling in and they still haven’t fixed this. It just happened to me and they advised I go to the local police. They told me that they’re unable to remove it because it is not associated with my Apple ID. In my instance the last place it recognized being on me was my car. I did see someone post about this possibly being an issue with AirPods… my bf did have his AirPods in the car earlier today, so maybe that’s why ? I’m going to try to locate this possible air tag again if there’s even one and try to connect my bf’s AirPods to my phone and see if it changes anything. It’s super scary. I dont even want to leave my house now. 😵‍💫

Nov 23, 2021 3:10 PM in response to carmeloa

The message is for your security. It means there is a tracking device near you. It’s to let you know that someone may have planted an Apple tracking device in something you are carrying, and it’s to warn you of a possible stalker. But it can also mean that there is someone near you who has their own tracking device, and they have been close to you long enough for it to register (15 minutes). If it happens in only one location or in a crowd moving in the same direction you are, but doesn’t follow you everywhere, you can safely ignore it.

Nov 1, 2021 5:11 AM in response to Butterfudge

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE!

I went to view a house and when I left and got home I had a notification that an unknown device is travelling with me. (Scary thinking what if someone stuck an AirTag on my car when I was viewing this house?) checked the car and nothing. Left it alone and figured it might be a bug like some are recently saying. Then looking at it again today it said it was last seen at 4:08 last night. Not cool what the **** is this? I also can’t see what the actual device is to get more info! Can someone please look into these issues? Just stuck with this message:

Oct 9, 2021 1:58 PM in response to Do24minh

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities Do24minh,

We understand you're seeing a message about a device moving with you. The "If you see an "AirTag Found Moving With You" message" section of the following page may help: What to do if you find an AirTag or get an alert that an AirTag is with you

If you're still unable to disable the device, try restarting your iPhone normally, before attempting again.

Should the behavior persist, contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2022 7:41 AM in response to scmatar

When you say “family shared account” do you mean you have one Apple ID that is shared between 2 or more people, or you each have individual accounts that are grouped with Apple’s Family Sharing feature?

If you mean you have multiple users on one Apple ID that is not a recommended practice. If you are not doing this, and have Family Sharing, ignore the rest of this post.

Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

Dec 15, 2021 5:30 AM in response to tdembek

I think there is a need to worry. You and your girlfriend may or may not care if each other devices are being tracked. But what if you are on a bus or train and someone you don't know gets an alert that your girlfriends air pods are traveling with them and they decide to hit the "play sound" or "find" button that comes up?

I'm getting iPhone notifications about an unknown device is with me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.