Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ruler not working in markup with Apple Pen on iPad

Hi, I am having an issue with using the ruler function of the apple pen on a .pdf file saved in my files. When I enable and position the ruler as always, the 'ink' just behaves as if the ruler is off. I've used ruler before and I don't know what's causing the issue.

(Software is up to date - currently iPadOS 15.0.1)

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 12:37 PM

Thanks 1ssmith

I closed the App (iOS native 'Files' app) and restarted iPad. Problem still persists as before.

Tried various other PDF files - For most, the ruler works as it should but not all.

App is up-to-date (as part of iPadOS).

Going to resort to printing, using a real-world pen and ruler, then scanning back to pdf at this rate... :(

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 12:37 PM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks 1ssmith

I closed the App (iOS native 'Files' app) and restarted iPad. Problem still persists as before.

Tried various other PDF files - For most, the ruler works as it should but not all.

App is up-to-date (as part of iPadOS).

Going to resort to printing, using a real-world pen and ruler, then scanning back to pdf at this rate... :(

Oct 10, 2021 8:27 AM in response to InvalidUsernameIsAlreadyTaken

Hey InvalidUsernameIsAlreadyTaken,

From what we understand, you're unable to use the ruler tool in a saved PDF. If you haven't already, close the app your'e using and restart the iPad.

Quit and reopen an app on iPad

Restart your iPad

If issue persists, try a different PDF. If it happens with another PDF, test in a different app: Draw in apps with Markup on iPad These steps will help isolate the issue. If you're able to use the ruler in other apps, then the issue is likely related to either the PDF file or the app.

Make sure that the app is up-to-date: How to manually update apps on your Apple device If that doesn't help, if possible, delete and install the app:

Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Download apps and games on your iPhone or iPad

Hope this helps. Take care.

Ruler not working in markup with Apple Pen on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.