Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to set scroll direction independently for mouse and trackpad

I use multiple pointing devices, including a mouse and Apple Magic Trackpad, and it is very frustrating that it is not possible to configure the Mac so that both devices scroll in the standard direction for those device types.

There is a setting in OS X to reverse the direction of scrolling under System Preferences > Mouse > Scroll direction: natural, and also under System Preferences > Trackpad > Scroll & Zoom > Scroll direction: natural. But these both control the same setting, so if you change one, the other updates too.

For me, what's "natural" for a trackpad is different to what's "natural" for a mouse. I want a trackpad to behave like any other touch surface (drag the page in the direction you want the page to move) and a mouse wheel to behave like a mouse wheel (turn the wheel in the direction you want to scroll).

Is there an Apple-approved way to set these settings separately? Or a safe workaround for it.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 7:12 PM

I have the same question. 😭

Unfortunately, Mac doesn't support it, and Apple doesn't care.

You have some options.

1. For Logitech Mouse, it has officially software to change this option.
  2. Scroll Reverser tool (I have tried, but it causes stuck or slows the scroll sometimes).
  3. UnnaturalScrollWheels (I think this tool is the same with Scroll Reverser)
  4. Send feedback to Apple.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 7:12 PM in response to DCC506

I have the same question. 😭

Unfortunately, Mac doesn't support it, and Apple doesn't care.

You have some options.

1. For Logitech Mouse, it has officially software to change this option.
  2. Scroll Reverser tool (I have tried, but it causes stuck or slows the scroll sometimes).
  3. UnnaturalScrollWheels (I think this tool is the same with Scroll Reverser)
  4. Send feedback to Apple.

Is there a way to set scroll direction independently for mouse and trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.