Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just bought a Seagate 2TB external backup drive. Anyone know of any problems this drive might have with my new (2020) IMAC?

I just bought a Seagate 2TB external backup drive. Anyone know of any problems this drive might have with my new (2020) IMAC?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 1:14 PM

It's not the most reliable brand of backup drives. Do not install and run any Seagate software that might be bundled on it. It only interferes with Time Machine. Also reformat it when you get it to OS X Extended (journaled) before using it with Time Machine.

Personally I would recommend one of these for Time Machine backup drives: OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200 RPM Storage as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties. 

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 1:14 PM in response to Hill174

It's not the most reliable brand of backup drives. Do not install and run any Seagate software that might be bundled on it. It only interferes with Time Machine. Also reformat it when you get it to OS X Extended (journaled) before using it with Time Machine.

Personally I would recommend one of these for Time Machine backup drives: OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200 RPM Storage as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties. 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.