Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I switch desktops on built-in display and external monitor independently?

Hello!

I have been using an external monitor (E20 display) with my MacBook Air (13-inch, early 2015; macOS Catalina, 10.15.7) for the past several years. When I first used it, I could switch between different desktops on either the main (built-in) screen or the external monitor independently of each other. Specifically, if my pointer was on the main screen, and I moved to a different desktop, the desktop on the external monitor would stay the same and the one on my main screen would change (and vice versa--if my pointer was on the monitor screen and I swiped to switch desktops, the desktop on the main screen wouldn't change). Moreover, when I wanted to move a desktop from one screen to the other, I could press f5 and drag the desktop to the desired screen.

At some point, I was unable to do this anymore. The main screen and monitor no longer act independently of each other--when I swipe to switch to a different desktop, whether my pointer is in the main screen or the monitor, the desktop changes on both screens.

I still connected the computer to the monitor the same way and I did not change the display options. I tried searching online for a way to change the display settings back to the way they used to be but was unsuccessful.

I apologize if I am not using the proper terminology! I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

I would appreciate any input you have on this issue! Thank you so much ☺

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 11:36 AM

I have finally found the reason why I was having this issue--it was due to changes in System Preferences > Mission Control that must have occurred after the software update months ago.

To fix this, I checked the box for "Displays have separate Spaces".

The issue has been resolved at last! I am sorry to post this only to find the answer so soon after, but I don't think I can delete the post. It is ironic that I have been attempting to find the solution for so long and just figured it out. In any case, I am thankful! ☺

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2021 11:36 AM in response to broken-toaster

I have finally found the reason why I was having this issue--it was due to changes in System Preferences > Mission Control that must have occurred after the software update months ago.

To fix this, I checked the box for "Displays have separate Spaces".

The issue has been resolved at last! I am sorry to post this only to find the answer so soon after, but I don't think I can delete the post. It is ironic that I have been attempting to find the solution for so long and just figured it out. In any case, I am thankful! ☺

How can I switch desktops on built-in display and external monitor independently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.