Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my deleted photos keep reappearing

I recently started having a problem with my photos not deleting. I don't have a lot of space, so hundreds of random and unwanted photos won't go away. It's not synced to anything, so it's not. Everything I find when looking up this problem says something about iCloud. I do not now, nor have I ever had an iCloud. First thing I did when I got my phone is turn off all iCloud stuff. I delete a photo, and then it's just there on my photos. I can click on the photo and instead of a trash can on the right hand side, it's just the share button, but it's moved to the middle, and no trash can or favorite icon. Nothing has changed on my phone, so I don't know what prompted this. I can find a lot of people also having this issue, but no one who has answer other than iCloud. I can't turn off iCloud, as I've never made on and never used it and have ALWAYS had it turned off. I also tried deleting them from recently deleted, but that didn't help either. How do I permanently delete my photos?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 2:04 PM

Hello dstryker120,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with photos returning or not deleting completely, and we'd love to help.

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Just to confirm, are you using the exact steps outlined in the "Delete photos permanently" part of this page to delete your photos? Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  2. Do the photos seem to come back after doing something specific on the device, or does it seem to be completely random? For example, do they return after taking a new photo?
  3. What is the exact iOS version your device is running at this time? Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Thanks!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 2:04 PM in response to dstryker120

Hello dstryker120,

We understand that you're experiencing an issue with photos returning or not deleting completely, and we'd love to help.

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Just to confirm, are you using the exact steps outlined in the "Delete photos permanently" part of this page to delete your photos? Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  2. Do the photos seem to come back after doing something specific on the device, or does it seem to be completely random? For example, do they return after taking a new photo?
  3. What is the exact iOS version your device is running at this time? Find the software version on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2021 7:47 AM in response to dstryker120

dstryker120,

Thank you for answering those questions.

To help narrow this down further, can you let us know if any errors appear when attempting to delete photos? If so, what does the error say?

Does restarting correct the issue temporarily, or is there no change? Restart your iPhone

If your device is running an older iOS version, you may wish to update it to the latest compatible version: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We know you mentioned that you're not able to update; can you let us know more about that? Do you experience a specific issue when attempting to update? If you're unable to update, the steps here may help: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2021 9:44 AM in response to Brittany1416

I don't get any error message. It deletes it normal, but then when I go to my camera roll it's still there. It doesn't act like there's a problem in any way.

I tried restarting a couple times, it didn't do anything all the deleted photos are still there and there is no change.

I don't have an issue with updating, I just don't do it. I haven't in a long time and it works for me. Every time I update it takes up space, or changes something around, or just updates things in general. I use my phone for taking pictures with my nieces and texting, that's it. It's pretty simple and I would rather it be a little slower and the same than updated.

All my deleted photos keep reappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.