Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app won't play any newly downloaded songs

New music won't show in Library, nor it can be played by the Music app. If I double click on a song, it opens Music app but just blinks white square and nothing happens. The only songs that play are the old ones that are already in the Library. Interesting is that newly downloaded music videos do appear in the Music app. Mp3 however do not show or play anymore.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 12:10 PM

I tested several things and the solution was very simple - after checking the music files (.mp3) on two different laptops, it turned out that the encoding was different or maybe the files were broken. None of them would play at all in the Music app but they would play in QuickTime which made me neglet the idea that the files might be wrong in some way. After re-downloading the music from a different location all was working fine. Thank you for the help! Glad that this got resolved :))

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 12:10 PM in response to MVegas21

I tested several things and the solution was very simple - after checking the music files (.mp3) on two different laptops, it turned out that the encoding was different or maybe the files were broken. None of them would play at all in the Music app but they would play in QuickTime which made me neglet the idea that the files might be wrong in some way. After re-downloading the music from a different location all was working fine. Thank you for the help! Glad that this got resolved :))

Oct 12, 2021 10:18 AM in response to merismana

Hi there merismana,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand that new Mp3 files are not showing up in the Library and cannot be played. Did you happen to change the location where music files are stored? Here's how to check: Change where your music files are stored on Mac. If not, test in safe mode to see if you're able to play the content: How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening, which could help narrow down the cause of issue.

If you need more help, reply to this message.

Take care.

Music app won't play any newly downloaded songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.