Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Mac Pro keeps prompting access to keychain but when I try to put in my password it doesn't accept. how do I reset password to reset keychain.

I keep getting message on my mac pro saying "keychain login cannot be found". I have tried to reset with my password but it doesn't seem to work as message is repeated over and over again.

I should add that I bought the mac pro second hand, so if previous owners had a keychain password how do I clear it?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 8:19 AM

When it complains about this, it is telling you the FILE login.keychain-db (one of the three types of keychain files) cannot be found. Login keychain contains the keys that could be shared using your Apple-ID to your iCloud account, and on to your other devices.

It may not be accessible because it is already shared to the original User's Apple-ID.

You can NOT break into or re-specify the password(s) for Keychains.

This issue points out bigger problem: namely that your Mac may still be tied to the previous owner's Apple-ID [that has their payment method attached] any you may not be able to obtain ANY updates or upgrades if you continue to use a copy of MacOS tied to a different Apple-ID.

That is why This procedure is what should have been done when transferring ownership:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 8:19 AM in response to VictoriaParker

When it complains about this, it is telling you the FILE login.keychain-db (one of the three types of keychain files) cannot be found. Login keychain contains the keys that could be shared using your Apple-ID to your iCloud account, and on to your other devices.

It may not be accessible because it is already shared to the original User's Apple-ID.

You can NOT break into or re-specify the password(s) for Keychains.

This issue points out bigger problem: namely that your Mac may still be tied to the previous owner's Apple-ID [that has their payment method attached] any you may not be able to obtain ANY updates or upgrades if you continue to use a copy of MacOS tied to a different Apple-ID.

That is why This procedure is what should have been done when transferring ownership:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 17, 2021 4:37 PM in response to 1Redshoe

If your situation is EXACTLY as the original posters situation, you should "start over" using the article as a guide.

If a keychain is locked after you changed you login password, it is possible that your original password could unlock the keychain. You can NOT break into or re-specify the password(s) for Keychains.

if you are desperate, all you can do is create a NEW keychain, with NO keys in it, and add your keys back in, one at a time, as you re-derive them.

My Apple Mac Pro keeps prompting access to keychain but when I try to put in my password it doesn't accept. how do I reset password to reset keychain.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.