Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

used apple watch series 3 set up issues

I bought a used apple watch series 3, when I attempt to set it up it requires a software update but there is a notification saying there is no internet connection. I am unable to connect the watch to the internet as it is not set up, but cannot set it up because of the software update.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 2:22 PM

FWIW, a lot of people have problems updating a series 3 watch due to insufficient memory. In some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, see fireyjack's reply to:

Can't update her series 3 watch. - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 2:22 PM in response to ali1304

FWIW, a lot of people have problems updating a series 3 watch due to insufficient memory. In some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, see fireyjack's reply to:

Can't update her series 3 watch. - Apple Community

Oct 12, 2021 6:45 PM in response to ali1304

Fixed “cant update not connected to the internet” AFTER combing the internet for two days trying to find a fix I ended up figuring it out myself. I watched every internet video and went to every forum and tried all of the stupid ideas like turning on and off airplane mode/Bluetooth/different WIFI/resetting network settings/reboots…Etc. The answer is: You must have someone who already has an Apple Watch running 8.0.1 pair the watch to their phone. They should simply add the watch under their Apple Watch app, the update will download and install.

The problem with the update is that unless you already have a watch set up in the watch app there is no way to download the latest watchOS to the phone. I was trying to set this watch up for a friend and no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to do anything because it was constantly saying not connected to the internet. I tried an iPhone 6, 7, and 9 to no avail. Then I tried pairing it to my iPhone 13 pro on a whim as a “second” watch and boom, got the message that it needed to be updated and the update started and ran no problem. The other phones I had tried didn't currently have watches paired to them so the advanced settings in the watch app wouldn't appear.

Apple Watch 3

used apple watch series 3 set up issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.