Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro fans running like crazy - corsepotlightd hogging my CPU?

Hello! I have MBP (13-inch, Retina, mid-2014) running MacOS Big Sur 11.6 (up to date) and for the last few weeks or so the fans have been revving up and running continuously even while I have almost nothing open (usually am running only firefox). I have shut everything down and restarted, found an old post about firefox incompatibility being solved by adjusting the display resolution so I did that, but the fans still run and run. I check activity monitor and see that corsepotlightd seems to be hogging my CPU. This is also happening with my newer MBP (2020).

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Liese

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 6:41 PM

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the summary of recent logs will be included in the report which may provide additional clues.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 6:41 PM in response to Liese Schwarz

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the summary of recent logs will be included in the report which may provide additional clues.

Mac Book Pro fans running like crazy - corsepotlightd hogging my CPU?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.