Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High CPU usage

Hello,

I am getting a high CPU usage since I upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.1 (21C52).

I have a MacBook Air from early 2015.

When I boot up the MacBook Air, everything is fine, the CPU load is very low. I use it for some hours, everything is still fine. Then I put it in sleep mode (I just close the lid) and the next day when I open the lid, the MacBook Air gets hot, the fan starts to run and I see an abnormal high CPU usage without any process consuming the CPU (see the following screenshot).

I checked for viruses with Avira and it did not find anything.

I suspect an issue with macOS Monterey.

Any idea?

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 2:21 PM

" I checked for viruses with Avira and it did not find anything."

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 2:21 PM in response to Florent_

" I checked for viruses with Avira and it did not find anything."

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Dec 22, 2021 2:27 PM in response to Florent_

Today I got the issue again, and I was able to identify the culprit: it's the laptop's bluetooth.

I turned off the bluetooth and the CPU usage went back to normal.

I don't have any device connected to the MacBook Air in bluetooth so I don't understand why the process goes crazy like this.

Any suggestion to fix this issue?

Edit: I see that I am not alone with this issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253487034

Dec 20, 2021 2:47 PM in response to Florent_

Welcome, Florent_, to Apple Support Communities!

I see that you are running Activity Monitor showing only “My Processes”.

This will miss any Background, System Extension, or other processes that are not directly identified with you, the user.

If you want to see what is actually going on, on your system, you need to change the View to “All Processes”.

High CPU usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.