Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetoothd high cpu usage

I am using macbook pro 2015 with Monterey version 12.1. Almost every time when I open the screen and login in the usage of cpu surges more then 200%. It's even stranger because mac isn't connected to any device! To fix it I turn off and on the bluetooth, which doesn't seem a good solution to me. Is there any better ways to fix it?

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 8:18 PM

Similar questions

71 replies

Feb 15, 2022 6:16 PM in response to tree_frog

macOS 12.2.1 (released Feb 10, 2022) fixed some Bluetooth bugs, but it's not yet clear if it fixed this issue.

A quick recap for everyone:

This issue seems to be common to 2015 models. It looks like an OS bug that will require an update from Apple.

The following do not appear to work:

• Re-installing the OS in-place (unlikely to fix this issue now that macOS uses a signed & sealed system volume).
  • Deleting Bluetooth configuration files.
  • Unchecking the options in the "Advanced…" section of Bluetooth preferences (pertaining to the Bluetooth Setup Assistant).

What to do now:

The best option for fixing that is for us all is still to submit a bug report to apple, and reference this thread. The more people that do this, the more likely it will be fixed.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

(click "MacBook Pro" or "MacBook Air" under "Hardware").

Also, please make sure you include the version of macOS Monterey on all future posts! Otherwise it'll make future troubleshooting of this issue difficult.

Dec 30, 2021 10:16 AM in response to tree_frog

This issue seems to be common to 2015 models. Re-installing the OS in-place is unlikely to fix this issue now that macOS uses a signed & sealed system volume.

Bluetooth configuration files are stored here:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
/Users/*/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.Bluetooth.*.plist
/Users/*/Library/Containers/com.apple.preferences.sharing.SharingBluetoothService

You could try deleting all of these to reset the Bluetooth settings, but I suspect it's an OS bug that will require an update from Apple.

To that end, the best option for fixing that is for us all to submit a bug report to apple, and reference this thread. The more people that do this, the more likely it will be fixed.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

(click "MacBook Pro" or "MacBook Air" under "Hardware").

Feb 13, 2022 8:59 PM in response to shott85

shott85 wrote:

For me, the issue disappeared after I went into Bluetooth Preferences > Advanced and disabled the following two options:

That is interesting, shott85.

In fact, this seems to have a very logical connection, though the details are yet to be determined.

It may help to provide this information directly to Apple, via Apple’s Feedback: Product Feedback - Apple.

Dec 20, 2021 8:32 PM in response to armensanoyan

armensanoyan Said:

"bluetoothd high cpu usage: I am using macbook pro 2015 with Monterey version 12.1. Almost every time when I open the screen and login in the usage of cpu surges more then 200%. It's even stranger because mac isn't connected to any device! To fix it I turn off and on the bluetooth, which doesn't seem a good solution to me. Is there any better ways to fix it?"

-------

Reenable Bluetooth:

Disabling, and then enabling Bluetooth is a good idea of troubleshooting. So, start with that. If you have no success, then restart your Mac.

Dec 21, 2021 6:39 PM in response to armensanoyan

I have exactly the same issue, on a 2015 MacBook Pro (15") running macOS 12.1 Monterey. The fans go crazy, and bluetoothd goes wild and takes up all the CPU time.

This issue has happened multiple times. It did NOT happen on macOS 12.0.1. I have rebooted multiple times since installing macOS 12.1. The advanced Bluetooth reset options previously available by option-shift-clicking the Bluetooth menu appear to have been removed in Monterey.

Jan 5, 2022 6:59 AM in response to armensanoyan

One of the suggestions was to turn off bluetooth and then back on. While doing so, two old devices were listed, one of them said the connection was "rejected." Before turning off bluetooth, I removed both of those devices, effectively clearing the device list. Upon removing both, the CPU usage immediately dropped from 216% to 0% fixing the issue for me. I never turned off bluetooth and after 3 hours and one restart, the issue has not reappeared for me. Hope this helps someone!

Jan 12, 2022 7:26 AM in response to armensanoyan

As a temporary solution I can suggest to write a code, which will restart your bluetooth every time your screen is unlocked. I did it by hammerspoon. Here is the code

function printf(s,...)  print(s:format(...)) end
wather = hs.caffeinate.watcher.new(function(eventType)    
    if eventType == hs.caffeinate.watcher.screensDidUnlock then
        hs.execute("/usr/local/bin/blueutil -p 0 && sleep 1 && /usr/local/bin/blueutil -p 1")
    end
end)
wather:start()

bluetoothd high cpu usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.