Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ludicrous CPU usage for bluetoothd process

Hello there,

Ever since updating to macOS 12.1 I've been experiencing battery drain issues. When I check the running processes it always shows bluetoothd hogging just about the whole CPU. Interestingly I don't see any impact on responsiveness on what I'm actually doing on the Mac, and when the fans really kick in and the noise gets noticeable, my battery is halfway through.

I've seen some posts related to this issue, but I can't quite say they reflect on my use case. I don't have any Bluetooth accessories connected to my Mac. The only reason I leave Bluetooth on is because AirDrop, which I use sparingly.

Surprisingly, turning Bluetooth off didn't solve the issue. The only workaround is to kill the process. I've seen the issue reappear over a wide time scale: from about half an hour up to a couple of weeks!

Any tips would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 6:55 AM

Hello osmartormenajr,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with an unexpected task taking power. We'd like to share a resource that can help. Get started here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Safe mode can help isolate this behavior. It includes next steps if the behavior does or does not persist.

Best regards.

Similar questions

4 replies

Ludicrous CPU usage for bluetoothd process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.