Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetoothd Process Running Extremely Hard After Waking from Sleep

Other uses are reporting a new problem with bluetoothd running at upwards of 200% cpu usage in Activity Monitor...fans blazing, and battery draining. I have isolated the issue here:

1. After USING bluetooth (notably airdrop from my iPhone) and letting the computer go to sleep, bluetoothd will run out of control after waking the computer (+200% CPU usage in Activity Monitor, fans on high)
  2. The only solutions appear to be restarting the computer or ending the bluetoothd process; bluetoothd will of course start again shortly after ending, but not cause problems until the USE, SLEEP, and WAKE cycle repeats
  3. This issue seems to only affect macOS Monterey; at least, that is when it first appeared for me (and others)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running macOS 12.2.1; iPhone XS running iOS 15.4

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 10:49 AM

CornWallis1 wrote:

1. Other uses are reporting a new problem with bluetoothd running at upwards of 200% cpu usage in Activity Monitor...fans blazing, and battery draining. I have isolated the issue here:

After USING bluetooth (notably airdrop from my iPhone) and letting the computer go to sleep, bluetoothd will run out of control after waking the computer (+200% CPU usage in Activity Monitor, fans on high)
2. The only solutions appear to be restarting the computer or ending the bluetoothd process; bluetoothd will of course start again shortly after ending, but not cause problems until the USE, SLEEP, and WAKE cycle repeats
3. This issue seems to only affect macOS Monterey; at least, that is when it first appeared for me (and others)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running macOS 12.2.1; iPhone XS running iOS 15.4

The current stable release of Monterey macOS is 12.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

On the Intel Mac you can try —

resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve:

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 10:49 AM in response to CornWallis1

CornWallis1 wrote:

1. Other uses are reporting a new problem with bluetoothd running at upwards of 200% cpu usage in Activity Monitor...fans blazing, and battery draining. I have isolated the issue here:

After USING bluetooth (notably airdrop from my iPhone) and letting the computer go to sleep, bluetoothd will run out of control after waking the computer (+200% CPU usage in Activity Monitor, fans on high)

The current stable release of Monterey macOS is 12.3.1

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

On the Intel Mac you can try —

resetting the SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve:

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

bluetoothd Process Running Extremely Hard After Waking from Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.