Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Apple Watch 7 cellular with my wife (she has her own iPhone and Apple ID)?

I'm thinking of buying Apple Watch 7 cellular and sharing it with my wife, i.e. I use it part-time and she uses it part-time. We don't plan to use/wear it full-time so hoping we can share it.

I'm planning to use the Watch 7 cellular at the gym, leaving iPhone home (or in locker), so I can do phone calls, texts, and listen to music. Similar usage for my wife. We don't go to gym together so we can take turn using the Watch.

My principal question is once I paired the Watch to my iPhone (so I can make calls and texts via my phone number) can I unpair it and pair it to my wife's iPhone (so she can make calls and texts via her phone number)? We're looking to do this at least once a day. And if it's possible how much of a hassle is it? And is there any aha or gotcha we should know about? Thanks.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 5:36 PM

In theory, for a GPS-only watch, you can. But IMHO it is quite a hassle and you cannot make phone calls unless the paired iPhone is nearby. Each time you switch users, you will have to setup the watch to pair it with an iPhone, then unpair and erase it. Rinse and repeat for,lowing these articles.

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

How to pair your Apple Watch with a new iPhone - Apple Support

They are not trivial and can take quite a bit of time..

A GPS+Cellular watch has a gotcha.  Your iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same carrier, and you must be within your carrier's network when you set up cellular on your watch. Make sure that you have an eligible cellular service plan with a supported carrier.  It requires an additional (monthly) plan (with an additional charge) from your carrier and I believe it can only be applied to one iPhone.

Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 5:36 PM in response to thomas708

In theory, for a GPS-only watch, you can. But IMHO it is quite a hassle and you cannot make phone calls unless the paired iPhone is nearby. Each time you switch users, you will have to setup the watch to pair it with an iPhone, then unpair and erase it. Rinse and repeat for,lowing these articles.

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

How to pair your Apple Watch with a new iPhone - Apple Support

They are not trivial and can take quite a bit of time..

A GPS+Cellular watch has a gotcha.  Your iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same carrier, and you must be within your carrier's network when you set up cellular on your watch. Make sure that you have an eligible cellular service plan with a supported carrier.  It requires an additional (monthly) plan (with an additional charge) from your carrier and I believe it can only be applied to one iPhone.

Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sharing Apple Watch 7 cellular with my wife (she has her own iPhone and Apple ID)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.