Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password on my iMac running High Sierra quit working in regular startup but works i. Soft boot mode (hold Shift key until Apple logo is seen)

I tried the Soft Mode and my Password worked but in normal mode it won’t work. It says I need to view iCloud details but now none of my keys work on my keyboard to signin to Sys Prefs. Anyone have some C-4?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 11:45 PM

andyhutch1947 Said:

"I tried the Soft Mode and my Password worked but in normal mode it won’t work. It says I need to view iCloud details but now none of my keys work on my keyboard to signin to Sys Prefs. Anyone have some C-4?"

-------

Use an External Keyboard:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both the SMC and NVRAM on your Mac. As for connecting it, you may need this adapter, if the keyboard has not USB-C plug in it USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 11:45 PM in response to andyhutch1947

andyhutch1947 Said:

"I tried the Soft Mode and my Password worked but in normal mode it won’t work. It says I need to view iCloud details but now none of my keys work on my keyboard to signin to Sys Prefs. Anyone have some C-4?"

-------

Use an External Keyboard:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both the SMC and NVRAM on your Mac. As for connecting it, you may need this adapter, if the keyboard has not USB-C plug in it USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Oct 12, 2021 12:44 AM in response to TheLittles

I’m using a wireless Apple Keyboard and TrackPad.

I found one thing strange. In soft mode my keyboard worked but in regular mode only part of it works as if it is in Mouse Mode or something. But I tried to get out of the Mouse Mode several times and it doesn’t make any difference.

my objective is to copy everything on my Mac HD to a new Ext HD and then reinstall High Sierra and copy everything back. But I have been trying to copy from my Mac HD for a week and when I wake up the next morning it has stopped copying. I was using the digital keyboard for ages (a week) but my iCloud account gets screwed up because my Mac hasn’t signed into it for so long it is freaking out and tells me to use my iPhone 12 Pro to create a new Password and I quit doing that 3-4 days ago because my Mac wouldn’t accept the new PW.

Grrrrrrrrr!

Password on my iMac running High Sierra quit working in regular startup but works i. Soft boot mode (hold Shift key until Apple logo is seen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.