Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Geofencing problems with iOS15.01

Does anybody experience Geofencing issues.

Although Location is Always On, some geofenced apps don't update the location at all, some only when app is opened.

(for instance Honeywell and iConnectHue).

Anybody having a solution?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 5:08 AM

Yes, there is definitely an issue with geofencing on iOS 15.

Our app (mileage tracker) relies on geofencing / region monitoring and has worked flawlessly until iOS 14.8. After updating to iOS 15 (as well as 15.0.1 and 15.0.2), the app stopped receiving regular region exit and/or region entry events, and is no longer launched to the background when the user moves, even a significant distance. This happens only on some devices, while on others there is no issue (!?)

When the issue occurred, restarting the device helped some users, but did not help others.

Even for a given user, on a given device, region monitoring would work perfectly well on one day, and fail completely on another day, causing all trips on that day to be missed by our app.

We were able to reproduce the issue on some test devices and reported it to Apple on 8 October 2021 (Feedback ID FB9687008). We have not yet heard back from Apple about this ticket.

On one of our test devices, restarting the iPhone helped "resolve" the issue and we have not been able to reproduce the issue on that device again. On other devices, users have reported that even after multiple restarts the behaviour is unpredictable. Geofencing works on one day, then not working on the next day...

Really frustrating, and no word from Apple on this so far!

64 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 5:08 AM in response to André2859

Yes, there is definitely an issue with geofencing on iOS 15.

Our app (mileage tracker) relies on geofencing / region monitoring and has worked flawlessly until iOS 14.8. After updating to iOS 15 (as well as 15.0.1 and 15.0.2), the app stopped receiving regular region exit and/or region entry events, and is no longer launched to the background when the user moves, even a significant distance. This happens only on some devices, while on others there is no issue (!?)

When the issue occurred, restarting the device helped some users, but did not help others.

Even for a given user, on a given device, region monitoring would work perfectly well on one day, and fail completely on another day, causing all trips on that day to be missed by our app.

We were able to reproduce the issue on some test devices and reported it to Apple on 8 October 2021 (Feedback ID FB9687008). We have not yet heard back from Apple about this ticket.

On one of our test devices, restarting the iPhone helped "resolve" the issue and we have not been able to reproduce the issue on that device again. On other devices, users have reported that even after multiple restarts the behaviour is unpredictable. Geofencing works on one day, then not working on the next day...

Really frustrating, and no word from Apple on this so far!

Oct 29, 2021 10:33 PM in response to Baabmart

Same problem ! I have Nuki smart lock, and the Auto Unlock is not working anymore. Geofencing and gps refreshing totally crap, sometimes it’s working with a huge delay… looks like since they have the. AirTag with iOS 14.8

many people have the same problem, Nuki developer forums are full with complaining however they can’t do anything about this.

Apple should see this huge problem and fix it as soon as possible.

Nov 29, 2021 1:47 PM in response to André2859

My wife and I have been experiencing problems with geofences with our iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max, both of them running iOS 15 out of the box.

I have issues with ally my geofencing apps (Locative, Geofency, IFTTT app, Tado), which do not execute actions upon entering/exiting geofences unless I open these apps almost every day. Tado failing to update is an issue, as it controls my heating.

Needless to say, apps are enabled for location tracking and background execution. Issues persist with iOS 15.1.1

Nov 30, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Teknofilo

Same issues here with geofencing apps on iPhone 12 Pro. Issues started with iOS 15 Upgrade and persist even with latest iOS 15.1.1 Update.

2 other devices still running iOS14.8 just work fine. So issues are definitly tied to iOS15.x.

Also, when apps running in foreground on iOS15.x everything works fine. Once send to background triggers stop working.

Dec 9, 2021 2:02 PM in response to André2859

Yes, there's definitely an issue with the geofencing. I've been a long time user of the Philips Hue lights, and I've always used the feature, "coming home" where my lights would turn on automatically when i'd be in the area of my home. All of my location services are turned on. I've reset the phone, deleted the Hue App, reset the bridge, reset the lights, turned off location services then back on, still nothing. I've reached out to Hue as well, but all of my settings were correct. The issues started happening with me with IOS 15.0.1. I am now on IOS 15.1.1 and still no fix. I've opened a ticket with Apple a few days ago and sent them the requested sysdiagnose files to see if the issue is logged during the automatic trigger on the app. I feel like every IOS update just gets worse and worse.

Dec 10, 2021 9:09 AM in response to ngjason42

Just to share what I found.

I'm on a Iphone 11 (IOS 15.1).....

Remove this below. if you have it in your car.

refer to 'link below

'https://shopee.com.my/UGREEN-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Car-USB-C-PD-20W-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver-MP3-Car-Charger-Hands-Free-Calling-TF-Card-i.331309804.6891452231?gclid=CjwKCAiAksyNBhAPEiwAlDBeLFmMHnAyY957O9icnqLwwxC0XdU9TS8Asu2Jro_LIqfPoB2iQ__XphoC-dYQAvD_BwE

My iphone is alive and works just fine like before.

Accuracy check, below 10m to 8m on a vehicle.

walking outdoor somewhere at 3m. to 4m

All accuracy checked through GPS status app.

I know this might not work for all but if you remember using gadgets alike, try to unplug it or forget it from your device.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 11, 2021 2:41 PM in response to bert182

I contacted Apple twice on this issue. Note I am only using geofence with Orchestrated Mobilinc - a home automation app. 

1st contact checked my settings to ensure i had location services on for the app, that background refresh was on for the app. And also checked my date/ time - my time zone was set to manual, so she asked me to change it to automatic. She also asked that I do some testing using screen capture to send videos to them. I ran at least 4 tests with screen recording and none failed.

Then i went out again and didn’t run screen recording and of course, it failed. 

i called Apple again and this time the tect told me to reset location & privacy. This is under general, bottom of the menu, transfer or reset phone, reset, reset location &privacy, reset. I did this and will now run some more tests and report back here.

Dec 15, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Baabmart

After resetting location and privacy under IOS 15.1, the problem still persists using orchestrated MobiLinc (the only app I have that uses geo fencing.

I recommend that everyone that has this problem (especially those with different or multiple apps that fail), call Apple support. They don’t appear to be working on this on their own, but maybe they will if enough of us complain.

Dec 16, 2021 11:19 AM in response to bert182

I’ve been doing a bit of testing and Mobilinc if open and on my dashboard page everything works great. I get push notification and the stat variable under programs gets changes automatically once I hear the geofence boundaries. If I’m not in my Mobilinc app nothing happens. All the issues started when iso15 was loaded, I’m on 15.2 and as others have noticed and the problem persists.

Tempted to revert back to latest iso14???

Geofencing problems with iOS15.01

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.