Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 15 keeps logging me out of several sites every week or so

I've increased "remove history items" to 1 month - no luck

I've disabled all extensions - no luck

Still there are some sites which keep me logged in, but google.com, youtube.com, facebook.com, ebay.com - they are all throwing me out every week.

Other browsers doesn't do that.

Safari 14 didn't do that.

Am I alone with this porblem?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 11:32 AM

Similar questions

107 replies

Feb 15, 2022 11:57 AM in response to ArtMooney

ArtMooney wrote:

• I'm wondering about the same thing, it's a really horrible and annoying bug. The two leads I have now on what causes it is:

when opening and using the web console, so I guess it mostly annoys developers.
• according to other users who do not have this problem, they are using x86 systems, so it seems to affect the M1 version only.

With these leads in mind it shouldn't be too hard to find right?

Have you submitted feedback to Apple?

Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 15, 2022 11:46 AM in response to taawd

I'm wondering about the same thing, it's a really horrible and annoying bug. The two leads I have now on what causes it is:

• when opening and using the web console, so I guess it mostly annoys developers.
  • according to other users who do not have this problem, they are using x86 systems, so it seems to affect the M1 version only.

With these leads in mind it shouldn't be too hard to find right?

Nov 17, 2022 4:26 PM in response to radozd

For others that are experiencing this issue -- can you confirm if the following steps reliably reproduce the issue for you?

1. Open Safari and login to Gmail
  2. Open Safari Dev Tools (option + command + i)
  3. Reload the page (command + r)
    1. Result: you should still be logged in to Gmail at this point
  4. Open a new tab (command + t)
    1. Result: you should now mysteriously be logged out of your google account in the original tab

Feb 2, 2022 1:15 AM in response to submarines_and

Same here, same issue. For me it happens immediately after opening the developer console / web crawler and as a developer this very frustrating. I've been forced to go back to chrome for certain parts of my web development now since I don't have time for these problems as soon as I need to monitor my data. But I would rather see that Apple fixed this like yesterday!

Oct 13, 2021 11:07 AM in response to radozd

Hello there radozd,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

We understand some websites require you to sign back in more often than you're used to. Typically, this is controlled by the cookies or security settings as directed by the website itself. However, let's make sure Safari is set up to make sure they stay logged in as long as possible.

To get started, have you also tried completely resetting Safari by clearing all Safari history? We can do that by selecting Clear History from the Safari drop down menu next to the Apple icon.

Also, be sure to test with other Safari settings by going to Settings > Privacy. Some settings that help further protect your privacy and how websites can track you, can also lead to them signing you out sooner than expected: Change Privacy preferences in Safari on Mac

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

Nov 26, 2022 1:31 PM in response to radozd

I may just be lucky, but after nearing a year of this problem I followed the first two steps in this post on the developer forums explaining how the user there fixed it by:

Resetting all experiments: Develop -> Experimental Features -> Reset all to defaults
Re-enabling Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> enable "Prevent cross site tracking" + enable "Allow privacy-preserving measurements of ad effectiveness" (I suspect this is the issue but not sure)

I initially had several sites log out once, but I haven't experienced any further unexpected logouts in over a week, even when using the console/inspector. I hope I didn't just jinx myself 🤞

I'm running Safari 16.1 on Ventura 13.0 and a 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7.

Nov 3, 2021 1:48 PM in response to radozd

I'm still having this problem and I've restarted multiple times. I'm up to date with Safari and Monterey. It's really disrupting my work flow. I'm getting logged out of absolutely any website that requires a login session multiple times a day. This includes

• All google sites
  • All Atlassian sites
  • Lucid chart
  • Amazon

Just to name a few of the common ones. This started immediately with the Safari 15 update. I have changed zero security or privacy settings from 14 -> 15.

Jun 7, 2022 11:06 AM in response to tal178

I’ve had Safari’s developer tools enabled since early April and somehow enjoyed a nice two-month spell that was free from this pestilent bug, but I suffered a relapse an hour ago after running some snippets of JavaScript in the console. My first clue: performing a Google search and noticing that the background color was white when my search results loaded. I’m a dark mode user, so I braced myself for the fallout: as expected, all my sessions with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, GitHub, eBay, Amazon, and Gmail were gone.

Logging back into most of these sites results in a raft of security alerts that arrive via email and/or push notification. They all say variations of the same thing: “a login was detected from a new device we don’t recognize.” They usually contain links to the site so you can take immediate action to change your password. Somehow Google’s security page knows the name of my machine (SBP) and puts a little blue checkbox next to it, identifying it as “this device”. How Google ascertained that bit of private information is an alarming head-scratcher. Yes, I am logged into Gmail under “Internet Accounts” in macOS, but it’s curious how Google is able to correlate that connection with a “new device” it did not recognize minutes earlier.

So all of these big technology companies must be using a device-based login technique that relies on some kind of fingerprint they derive from the information Safari gives it, probably a hash generated by JavaScript from a number of factors. And somehow interacting with Safari’s web developer tools can corrupt that fingerprint and make us a total stranger to major tech sites.

I’m a web developer, but I only work on small-time sites that use unsophisticated cookie-based login sessions that have been around for decades. These types of sessions are still working fine in Safari 15. I would love to hear from a developer who works on big-time tech sites that rely on device-based login techniques. Their insight would be interesting.

Safari 15 keeps logging me out of several sites every week or so

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.