Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac fans at max speed from power on, diagnostics error PFM006

So since today, on my late 2015 5K 27" i5 3,3 iMac (w/AMD), the fan runs at maximum speed right from power on, with a 10-20 sec delay or so, but way before anything is loaded. I use Boot Camp, too, and it doesn't matter which OS I boot.

I tried SMC/PRAM resets, didn't change anything.

No malware as per Malwarebytes. Also didn't install anything new recently. Activity monitor only shows the kernel_task, which AFAIK just is the fan maxing out and / or thermal protection.

Diagnostics gives me the error message PFM006. My suspicion was a faulty thermal sensor, so I installed iStat Menus and received the stats shown in the screen shot below.

When I try to change the fan speed via iStat, nothing happens, it stays at max no matter what I set.

Now all the thermal sensors seem to have normal values, far from hot. Only the AC/DC T2 Secondary Heat sink sensor doesn't show any data, but then my question is: Does my iMac even have that, and should there be data? In other words, have I found the error? If so, what could I replace? AFAIK, the power supply unit comes with an integrated heat sensor, but I'm not sure if that's the case for all models. If so, I'd try replacing that! Or what are your opinions? Anything else I could try?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2021 2:03 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2021 2:03 PM in response to aleks54

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

iMac fans at max speed from power on, diagnostics error PFM006

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.