Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this program?

This program

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (Google Chrome)

is running on my computer and using tons of my ram. what is it and why does it use so much?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 7:43 AM

QuiGonLiam wrote:

This program
com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (Google Chrome)
is running on my computer and using tons of my ram. what is it and why does it use so much?

Uninstall your third party Chrome and yest your results.

Uninstall Google Chrome - Computer

5 replies

Nov 8, 2021 7:45 AM in response to QuiGonLiam

You, like me and almost everyone who uses Monterey, has the dreaded memory leak bug.  Apple will fix it eventually.

Before then there is a simple temporary solution.  Presumably you have several desktops on your mac.  I have 11 at the moment.  Go to one you don’t use often and open up Activity Monitor(its in your applications and on every mac).  Leave it open all the time.  Click on the column that tells you the use of memory by system processes and apps.  Highlight(click on) any that look completely out of control, and then click on the little icon with the x in the middle of a circle.  Choose force quit. If its an app it will quit and you will have to restart it.  If its a process(weird names mostly) then it will quit but come back almost instantly in the small size it's supposed to be.  For me about 15 minutes ago I noticed that the most common culprit, Control Center(which normally uses about 26 mb of memory)  was slowly sucking more and was up to 144mb.  Earlier this week I found it at 14 GB.  

You can keep these little buggers from stealing memory by just keeping an eye on them.  Be advised:  if WindowServer is up at 1gb then its probably doing it too, and if you force quit that one, your screen will go black for about 5 seconds while the OS puts it back, and then you will have to type in your machine password again.

Hope this helps.  

What is this program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.