Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My built in audio library on iMovie is gone, how do I fix it?

I edited an iMovie video and added a popular song to it. After loading that from iTunes, my built in audio library is gone. How do I restore that? All that is showing in the audio music is 3 songs from my music app. Just hoping there is a way to restore my builtin audio library.

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 12:20 PM

Songs from Apple Music will not be shown in the iMovie audio pane, because Apple Music is a subscription service and all songs are DRM protected and not usable in iMovie.

Songs purchased in iTunes before year 2009 also will not be shown because they are DRM protected, but songs purchased after year 2009 will be shown.

Look at the bottom of the iMovie audio pane. Does it have a notation that "___ number of files are protected and unavailable"?

In any event, if none of the above applies, your songs still will be available in your iTunes library from where they can be dragged into iMovie, unless DRM protected. You might need to drag them to your desktop first.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 12:20 PM in response to BeetleBailey01

Songs from Apple Music will not be shown in the iMovie audio pane, because Apple Music is a subscription service and all songs are DRM protected and not usable in iMovie.

Songs purchased in iTunes before year 2009 also will not be shown because they are DRM protected, but songs purchased after year 2009 will be shown.

Look at the bottom of the iMovie audio pane. Does it have a notation that "___ number of files are protected and unavailable"?

In any event, if none of the above applies, your songs still will be available in your iTunes library from where they can be dragged into iMovie, unless DRM protected. You might need to drag them to your desktop first.

-- Rich

Oct 22, 2021 9:27 AM in response to BeetleBailey01

Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

My built in audio library on iMovie is gone, how do I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.