Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music library not showing in iMovie Audio

My music library and the iMovie app are on two different external Hard Drives. My music library does not show up when I press the Audio button. How can I get to my music library to show up in iMovie?

iMac 21.5″ 4K

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 7:51 PM

I don’t know of any way to get iMovie to reference a Finder folder of music.

You could easily drag the songs from the Finder folder into iMovie as you need them. They would need to be on the same drive.

Or, perhaps you could create a new iMovie event, name it “Music”, and import your songs into it. The Event would reside in the iMovie side bar for access from any project.

Or you could import your songs into iTunes and acess them from iMovie that way.

— Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 7:51 PM in response to GGSquilter

I don’t know of any way to get iMovie to reference a Finder folder of music.

You could easily drag the songs from the Finder folder into iMovie as you need them. They would need to be on the same drive.

Or, perhaps you could create a new iMovie event, name it “Music”, and import your songs into it. The Event would reside in the iMovie side bar for access from any project.

Or you could import your songs into iTunes and acess them from iMovie that way.

— Rich

Dec 1, 2022 7:34 PM in response to Rich839

Rich, it is not iTunes. It is my own personal library of Music. I took it off of our old iPod classic and put it on the external Hard Drive. iMovie on my iMac was using my Music library just fine until my iMac memory was full and iMovie did not work anymore. I took the iMac to the local Apple Store and they erased everything on the iMac (after I backed up everything on the iMac) and put OS 13 on my iMac. That is why I put the Library for iMovie on a different external Hard Drive than my Music Library. My iMac now is acting like a new computer and it will not recognize my Music Library. Maybe I need to use an external Hard Drive with more terabytes and have both my Music Llibrary and my iMovie library on the same external Hard Drive. What do you think?

Music library not showing in iMovie Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.