Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Score editor - Staves changing to incorrect clefs

Hi there,

I am working on a project which uses the violin and viola software instruments. For some reason I noticed one of them had the wrong clef in the score editor. This has happened before but it isn't usually a problem as I can just change it to what's appropriate. This time however, it seems that the violin and viola are linked somehow. When I change the viola to alto clef, it also changes the violin to alto and when I change the violin to treble clef, it changes the viola to treble too.

I cannot get the violins to be treble while the violas are alto.

I have tried changing the clefs in the score editor and I have also opened the inspector and changed each track's 'Staff style' from 'auto' to their appropriate clefs but neither of these have helped.

The strings are part of the preset 'Bloomsbury' studio string quartet if that's of any importance.

Extracting the scores from this project is the single most important reason I am working on it so it's really crucial that I can work this out!

I'm sure there's a simple solution in there somewhere but I can't find it anywhere online. Any help appreciated.

J

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 5:51 AM

Morning! So without changing any settings between screenshots, here's where I'm at. As you can see the staff styles are different for each instrument. Yet, on the score editor they are both alto clef. It continues that if I change the violin to treble, the viola comes along with it to treble clef still.

I realise I can work round the problem by just changing which one they both sit at before printing my scores but I don't feel like that's really a solution to the problem.

Thanks a lot for your help

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 5:51 AM in response to Indyuser

Morning! So without changing any settings between screenshots, here's where I'm at. As you can see the staff styles are different for each instrument. Yet, on the score editor they are both alto clef. It continues that if I change the violin to treble, the viola comes along with it to treble clef still.

I realise I can work round the problem by just changing which one they both sit at before printing my scores but I don't feel like that's really a solution to the problem.

Thanks a lot for your help

Oct 15, 2021 4:13 PM in response to jacqueshappy

Just assign each region to a different staff style - you can duplicate the staff style (with a new name) - clefs are associated with staff styles and since you have both using the same staff style - when you make a change to one it changes the other. Just make them different and they will behave independently - good practice to do this normally

Oct 16, 2021 6:19 AM in response to jacqueshappy

I think you may be confused. The staff style assignment is in the score editor window. The parameter for staff style in the arrange window determine the initial staff style when you record a new region.

open the score window with the highlighted region selected - click on the staff to select it - then look in the inspector. Under staff style - do the same foe the other region - they will be the same - it is here you need to change one of them.

in your case I suspect they both say treble - which means they are using the same one - from the staff style drop down select duplicate to make a copy of the treble staff style and assign it to one of the regions - then each region will be different and not linked to each other

Score editor - Staves changing to incorrect clefs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.