Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to MacBook Pro into a remote "server" for running applications?

I often need a stable development environment that has enough CPU and RAM to handle demanding applications (like Confluent), for personal/hobbie use. I want to be able to access the environment from the internet, so I can interact with it from any computer even when I'm away from home. The RAM and CPU requirements pushes me to expensive AWS servers which would cost hundreds of dollars a year, but since I already have a spare, powerful MBP not doing anything, I want to turn this into my workload machine. I've successfully accessed it remotely using SSH. Now I need help keeping the MBP on.

How do I keep the machine running non-stop, with the least power wastage as possible? I know I can run it in clamshell mode, but since I'll be SSH'ing into the machine I don't want to connect an external monitor or keyboard/mouse to it. I don't mind having the lid open if required, but I don't want the screen on (to save power). Any tips on security, and managing heat would be great too.

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 3:29 AM

You can set sleep to "Never" under energy saver and select the option "Prevent computer from sleeping ....." . Wanting to run it full time wide open and operating is contra to energy savings. You can't have both.

Once you have your accessibility goal, heat is going to be whatever it is you've created. I supposed you could use an external cooling device, but again, that's contra to energy savings.

As to security, it's a laptop weighing maybe 2.5 pounds. Pretty much anybody can walk off with it at any time. Security will likely be only as good as the house/office/room where it resides unattended. That and a strong password.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 3:29 AM in response to maham181

You can set sleep to "Never" under energy saver and select the option "Prevent computer from sleeping ....." . Wanting to run it full time wide open and operating is contra to energy savings. You can't have both.

Once you have your accessibility goal, heat is going to be whatever it is you've created. I supposed you could use an external cooling device, but again, that's contra to energy savings.

As to security, it's a laptop weighing maybe 2.5 pounds. Pretty much anybody can walk off with it at any time. Security will likely be only as good as the house/office/room where it resides unattended. That and a strong password.

How to MacBook Pro into a remote "server" for running applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.