You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I animate type on a path on Motion?

How do I animate type on a path

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 12:21 PM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2021 8:55 PM in response to Mikevasilinda

Hi

To get you started

In the inspector, go to the layout section and select the 'path' option. The path parameters are down the bottom of that panel. You have many options there.

By default, the path is set to open spline. . Click into the text on screen to access the path controls. You can work on the path points with the manual inputs also. You can add points and manipulate the path like using a bezier.

Note all the path options in the menu available. Use the geometry option to assign your own custom path source.

When you choose geometry, you'll get a zone that you can drag your path source into.

Animating text on a path is a broad topic. I hope this information is enough to start you started and start exploring.

Note the 'offset' parameter. This is the function that is very useful for driving the text along the path.

You can dig deeper into the user manual here for more in-depth instructions about all the options.

https://support.apple.com/guide/motion/animate-text-on-a-path-motn159c36b9/mac

Oct 17, 2021 11:58 AM in response to Mikevasilinda

As Rowie302 points out there are several ways to do this, and I would also recommend spending time in the documentation.

FWIW, you can also create custom paths without referencing geometry, the setup is almost exactly the same as what Rowie302 has included.

Create the text, then set the layout method to path. If you look carefully, when you change the layout method from "Type" to "Path" and you will see a line with 3 control handles underneath the text. The dots are actually bezier handles for the path. you can click and drag on them when in the text eating mode to change the path. You can use the option-key modifier and click on the the path and add more control points if you need. You can do this with both of the open and closed spline options in the Path Shape parameter.

Either workflow is totally valid and really comes down to what you are more comfortable with.

Cheers

How do I animate type on a path on Motion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.