Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding music to imovie

I can’t add music on to my iMovie from Apple Music

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 6:35 PM

That's correct. Apple Music is a subscription service and all of the songs there are DRM protected and cannot be used in iMovie.

You can use in iMovie all songs purchased in iTunes after year 2009, as those are not DRM protected. Also, you can use all songs available from any other source as long as they are not copyright protected or DRM protected.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2021 6:35 PM in response to tidalgojeanette

That's correct. Apple Music is a subscription service and all of the songs there are DRM protected and cannot be used in iMovie.

You can use in iMovie all songs purchased in iTunes after year 2009, as those are not DRM protected. Also, you can use all songs available from any other source as long as they are not copyright protected or DRM protected.

-- Rich

Oct 28, 2021 7:05 PM in response to josiahscout

Not sure what you mean. As I said, you cannot add Apple Music songs to iMovie. They are DRM protected. I believe that with Catalina or newer you can access iTunes through the Music item in the iMovie media project sidebar. Or you can drag the songs from your iTunes library, and those should work in iMovie if purchased after Year 2009.

-- Rich

Adding music to imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.