Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set a new admin username and password

I do not know my admin user and password. My mac was gifted to me by someone and they don’t know the admin details as well. Under system preferences it says that my name is the “standard” user but nothing on administrator. I would like to reset the admin details to a new one without relying on the current admin account that i have on my laptop.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 7:53 PM

Hi sarahfuad,

If your Mac was gifted to you from someone else, you should immediately erase your new Mac and reinstall macOS. This ensures that the previous owner's files and apps are removed, and no spyware is left behind.

Also, the erase and reinstallation process removes the owner's user account, and allows you to set up the first user account on your Mac.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2021 7:53 PM in response to sarahfuad

Hi sarahfuad,

If your Mac was gifted to you from someone else, you should immediately erase your new Mac and reinstall macOS. This ensures that the previous owner's files and apps are removed, and no spyware is left behind.

Also, the erase and reinstallation process removes the owner's user account, and allows you to set up the first user account on your Mac.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

How to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Oct 17, 2021 12:07 PM in response to sarahfuad

sarahfuad wrote:

I do not know my admin user and password. My mac was gifted to me by someone and they don’t know the admin details as well. Under system preferences it says that my name is the “standard” user but nothing on administrator. I would like to reset the admin details to a new one without relying on the current admin account that i have on my laptop.

See if you can set up a new admin—

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002676

Oct 17, 2021 8:11 PM in response to sarahfuad

sarahfuad Said:

"Set a new admin username and password: I do not know my admin user and password. My mac was gifted to me by someone and they don’t know the admin details as well. Under system preferences it says that my name is the “standard” user but nothing on administrator. I would like to reset the admin details to a new one without relying on the current admin account that i have on my laptop."

-------

Getting this Back:

Ask the person who gifted it to you for the password.

Create your Own Account:

Then, create your own Admin Account. Once created, transfer data into it, and then delete this Administrator Account, that is not yours.

Set a new admin username and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.