Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling from laptop contacts now hijacked by Skype

I used to select a Contact phone number on my MBP and click on the phone icon and a call would be initiated on my nearby iPhone that could be handled on my MBP speaker system and the MBP mic. Recently Microsoft Skype seems to have hijacked this function and calls are no longer initiated on my iPhone. How can I revert to having calls generated from my MBP Contacts app handled by my iPhone?

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 11:42 AM

This is likely the case, but I can't be sure with certainty where to find the settings to assure that is the case. I say that because I followed all of the instructions in the article but still have Skype hijacking this calling system. So I can't say I succeeded.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 11:42 AM in response to Tesserax

This is likely the case, but I can't be sure with certainty where to find the settings to assure that is the case. I say that because I followed all of the instructions in the article but still have Skype hijacking this calling system. So I can't say I succeeded.

Oct 19, 2021 2:49 PM in response to Steven Weinberg1

It's not unusual for today's social networking apps (I include Internet voice services, like Skype, in this category) to use your contacts list. In theory, these apps (if well-behaved) will ask for your permission to do so. In reality that is not always the case.

At this point, I would check with the Skype app to see if you can disable its ability to use your Mac's contacts list(s). If that option is not available, it may be possible to try completely removing Skype, and then, reinstall it again ... but, this time, note to see if it asks to use your lists.

Oct 22, 2021 8:38 AM in response to Tesserax

I very much appreciate your reply, but nothing seems to be working, so I just deleted Skype and I'm OK now.

Bottom line. System interaction errors can get only so complicated before even a seasoned Mac user like me throws up my hands at investing too much time in a glitch that is only so irritating. I can always reinstall Skype at the point I need it, then delete it again after using it. But thanks for the help.

Calling from laptop contacts now hijacked by Skype

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.