Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking a phone number in macOS Catalina starts Skype instead of making the call from my iPhone

Using macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and Skype 8.64.0.80.

Clicking a phone number (or selecting "Call [phone number] Using iPhone") does not make a call from my iPhone, but instead automatically starts Skype and takes me to its dial pad with the phone number pasted there, offering a free trial of Skype to Phone.

I cannot find any way to disable this behaviour, neither in Skype's preferences nor in the macOS system preferences. I don't want to use Skype to make calls, and I never did. This is just another example of Microsoft's aggressive tactics to try to force people to use their terrible software.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, or have any knowledge of how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 12:30 PM

This was the answer, thank you!! FaceTime > Preferences > Default for calls (right at the bottom).

I certainly never set the default to Skype myself, that must have been done automatically without my consent. Thanks again!

3 replies

Clicking a phone number in macOS Catalina starts Skype instead of making the call from my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.