Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail freezes/crashes whenever I reply

1. Select an email from All Inboxes in main window.
  2. Click reply button or cmd-R to reply.
  3. Spinning wheel of colorful death spins eternally. Must force quit Mail.
  4. Problem recurs until system restart, after which the reply function works for a while until it unexpectedly hangs again.

The crash does not occur if I open the message in its own window and then reply.

I am on macOS Big Sur 11.6, but I think this also happened sporadically in 11.5. I've seen similar reports on M1 Macs, but I am using a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 5:04 PM

See if the issues persist in safe mode or possibly even build a new mac user account with the minimum of standard permissions. Also if your using an vpn’s or anything that could be causing a communication issue with the mail server and your macOS. If the issues do not present themselves in safe mode or in test user then reboot back into normal boot or back into the usual admin account and see if the issues come back.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 5:04 PM in response to Stephen Coles

See if the issues persist in safe mode or possibly even build a new mac user account with the minimum of standard permissions. Also if your using an vpn’s or anything that could be causing a communication issue with the mail server and your macOS. If the issues do not present themselves in safe mode or in test user then reboot back into normal boot or back into the usual admin account and see if the issues come back.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Mail freezes/crashes whenever I reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.